Chapter 55

I couldn't think, I couldn't function. I didn't know what to do. All I felt was fear. Utter and undeniable fear. Theo was in danger and I'm here, miles away from him trying and failing to get into contact with them.

I tried calling him, his phone was off.

I tried mind linking him, but there was no response from his end.

I finally tapped into the mate bond, pushing my fear of not sensing his presence at the back of mind. I closed my eyes and focused on the bond. It was only until I felt the low hum inside of me that I released the breath I didn't know I was holding.

He was alive!

Weak, but alive.

''That's- that's okay. It's okay.'' I controlled my ragged breathing,'' at least his not-'' I could not even bring myself to say it. I knew him going to Toronto was not a good idea. I should have trusted my gut feeling instead of paying heed to Charles.

Speaking of......

Two minutes later I was outside his door, not caring that it was a cold morning, and I was barefoot.

''Charles! Charles! Open the damn door!''

Looks like he didn't hear me the first two times. ''CHARLES, OPEN UP!!!''

I swear to the moon goddess, if he hadn't opened the door when he did, I would have broken it down.

''When did you lose your mind, Athena? Please tell me. I really want to know.'' He swings the door open and send me displeased look. His hair was disheveled, and he was struggling to stay awake.

''Charles, Th-''

''No, no, no Athena. No baseless explanations. Just tell me. I promise, I won't se to a nuthouse,'' he interrupts me and hold his hands up, one of which had his fingers crossed.

''Charles, I'm not crazy. Listen to me.''

''Yes, because I'm the one who is standing in the cold with nothing but a night dress on.'' He stifles a yawn. ''Athena you seriously need-''

''Shut up! Shut up and listen to me!!!'' I yell to his face. ''This is no time for jokes Charles. Theo is in trouble!''

That made him shut his trap. He immediately straightens his back and is now on full alert, all the sleep gone from his eyes. ''What?''

''Something has happened to Theo. I don't know what it is, but it's bad. I can feel it.''

''You need to come inside.'' He pulls me inside the house and closes the door behind him. ''How did you manage to stay outside for so long dressed like that?'' he points at my outfit, or lack thereof.

''That's the last thing on my mind Charles. My mate is in danger. Do you really think I care about what I'm wearing!?''

''Whew, we've come a long way,'' I hear him mutter.

''Charles,'' A warning growl escapes me.

''Sorry.'' He immediately stands on alert. ''Have you tried calling him?'' I give him an 'are you serious look' to which he just shrugs. ''Worth a try.''

''Where is Mila?''

''Oh you don't know?'' he chucks a blanket at me.

''The reason as to why I'm asking, dumbass,'' I wrap the blanket around me and heave an inaudible sigh. I'd die rather than admit to Charles that my feet were freezing out there for the past ten minutes. We may have a tolerance to cold temperatures, but no one is immune to it, especially when they're bare feet.