Chapter 34

-Athena-

"How was the shoot Athena?'' Amunet asks again. This time I catch a hint of malice in her voice.

My grip on the car handle tightens. I resist the urge to jump out of the now moving car and storm into her office to reposition her smug face. Theo's hand shoots out and he starts rubbing it down my back to calm me down.

It works and my breathing has now slowed down at its normal pace. ''Why?'' I ask her, my voice now raspy, like I was seconds away from breaking down into sobs.

''Why? Is that all you have to say to me Athena?'' she cackles like a witch. ''Honestly, I expected more from the great female alpha. Come on Athena, give me some something.''

Theo grabs the phone from my hand and growls viciously, ''I'd watch your back if I were you bloodsucker. If you thought she is alone, then you're wrong. You can't harm a single hair on my mates' head as long as I'm standing.''

''Oh, but I already did Theo,'' she replies. I could picture her smirk, making the anger in me rage like a wildfire.

SNAP!

''Oooohh, looks like you have something more important to take care of alpha. Keep her on a leash will you? I just don't want to kill her, yet,'' she declares and cuts the call.

''Athena!'' Theo shouts. I turn to look at him staring at me, a worried look plastered on his face. ''You need to calm down love.''

''She is well on her way to ruin me Theo and you want me to calm down!'' I shout at him before looking down at my lap to see my iPad, now in two pieces. ''Well, shit.''

''Look we're already here. Let's get home and think of something. Okay?'' I nod in response as he swerves into the parking lot and stops.

The ride up to the penthouse was unusually quiet. Theo made the wise choice to stand in the far corner of the elevator, while I on the other end. I shoot him a grateful smile and he nods at me understanding the meaning behind it.

As soon as walk in the penthouse I'm met with three pairs of eyes. Two, holding worry in them and one looking around in awe.

''Nancy? What are you doing here? I thought I told you to go back to the office?'' I inquire.

Her eyes snap towards me and immediately light up. ''Oh Athena. Thank god you're back. I almost thought you'd be on your way to Amunet's office to strangle the life out of her.''

''That was the plan but I'm saving it for a rainy day. Now, how about you get back to telling me why you're here?'' I raise an eyebrow at her.

''Ohh right. I was at the office alerting the department heads and board members of the emergency meeting when I got a call from Charles telling me to sit the in the car waiting for me downstairs,'' she starts.

''And you believed him! You just walked out and sat in the car!'' I yell at her.

''She flinches at the sound of my voice rising but otherwise maintains her posture. ''Yeah, Athena. I mean, It's just Charles right. He is your friend, isn't he?''

''Just Charles!! Seriously, I mean, what if it was a kidnapper or a murderer??'' I yell.

''Hey, I'm right here!!'' Charles shouts, offended by my remark.

''Oh my goodness. What-what am i- I just- I,'' I stop myself from fumbling more and take in a deep breath.

''Athena just calm-'' Mila speaks up but a low growl reverberating from me stops her.

''If one more person asks me to calm down, I will burn this whole house down.''

She takes a fearful step backwards, not saying another word. Charles walks up to her and drapes an arm over his mate's shoulder. While Theo does the same to me.