Chapter 25

-Athena-

''Wow! It's been three days since Amunet's disastrous presentation and it's still making headlines,'' I chuckle as I take a sip of my coffee on Wednesday morning and lean back on my chair.

''I know right! She is still doing damage control,'' Nancy laughs as she drops a pile of folders on my desk.

''What's this?'' I eye the documents.

''Well, we put up a great show so here is a list of people who would like to meet with you,'' she produces a paper and places it on my desk. ''And these are their individual folders. All their details are in there from their height to the colors the like and the ones they don't. I've also done background checks so no one is a fraud.''

I raise an eyebrow. ''Very impressive. I'll take a look at these files tonight, thank you.''

The rest of the day goes by in a blur. By the time the evening comes around, I'm so exhausted. As soon as I arrive at the building, I rush in to my apartment and thank the lucky stars that I didn't run into Theo on my way up.

Don't get me wrong. He was very helpful at the award show but that's about it. I needed some space from all these- feelings I'm getting when I'm around him. Which in my opinion, I should not be having. Goddess! I need to keep them in check.

After taking a shower I decide to cook some dinner for myself. It's been long since I had some quiet and alone time. I defrost some chicken and boil some potatoes. Ain't nothing better than some fried chicken and mashed potatoes.

As soon as my dinner is ready I sit down to eat. ''Ahhhhh nothing beats a peaceful night like this one.'' 

My eyes then fall on the calendar hanging on the wall. ''Hmmm.... the photo-shoot is scheduled for three weeks from now so I have some time. This weekend should be a good time to visit Mom and Ethan,'' I muse to myself. 

It will be hard, knowing that I pushed them away when they needed me the most.

A part of me tells me not to go, to just continue with the way things have been going. But this other part, this other damn part that I'd been ignoring for too long is suddenly overpowering all my other senses; pushing me to do the right thing. The thing I should have done in the first place, not pushing everyone away. And that's the part that won.

 ''That's it. I'm going!'' I stand up and mark the calendar.

As I sat in my study going through the folders Nancy gave me I hear a faint noise outside my window. I get up and look outside but there's nothing there.

Some of the shops and restaurants are now closed. People on the streets have lessened as well. However, a rotten stench fills the air. My senses go on high alert as I lean out the window hoping against hope that it's not one of those wretched vampires.

Amunet's warning rings in my head as I sniff the air for them, when my eye catches the garbage truck that was parked around the corner. I breathe out a sigh of relief and shut my window. 

I continue with my work for another hour until I decide to turn in. I do my normal skin care routine then slip into my bed.

I toss and turn around feeling uneasy all of sudden. ''Oh come on! I've had quite a day today and I'd really like to sleep!'' I take a deep breath and close my eyes again hoping that the sleep overcomes me.

Crack!

I shoot up from my bed, immediately regretting my decision as i'm hit with a head rush. ''Oh crap,'' I clutch my forehead for a few seconds before regaining control.