Chapter 48

-Athena-

Silence reigned between the two of us as we walked away from Selene's cabin, and towards the pack house. Each of us succumbed to our thoughts not knowing what to say to one another.

'Amunet claims you killed her brother.'

Selene's words echo in my head. I killed her brother. Me? I'd never even met any vampires until Amunet.

Or did I?

From my peripheral vision I notice Theo shifting uncomfortably. He had his hands buried in his pant pockets, his gaze never wavering as he focused on the pack house which was a few metres away from us. But thanks to the mate bond, I could sense his anxiety. He knows something and it's bothering him.

''You know something,'' I tell him. ''You know what she was talking about, don't you?''

''Love, just- just drop it please. Somethings are best left buried.''

''I did kill that vampire, didn't I?''

Silence.

''Theo, damn it! Tell me!'' I yell.

Thankfully there weren't any pack members around here. Theo had taken a different route. It's like he knew this was going to happen. Under any other circumstances I would've congratulated him for his quick thinking. It's considered humiliating for an alpha to be seen fighting with his mate in front of the pack members. Alpha's are usually proud and egoistical.

Trust me, I would know.

It's actually one of the reasons an Alpha's house is always further away from the pack house and cabins. Whatever issues him and his Luna are having are supposed to be sorted between themselves. The pack members needn't know. Unless of course it concerns the whole pack.

''Yes, love.'' He speaks up after a whole minute of silence. ''You did kill a vampire. With the help of Charles and Hazel.''

Okay wow. If it took the three of us to take him out, he must've been strong. ''But Amunet only wants me dead. That's not fair, but okay.''

''It's because you were the one who ripped his head off,'' he says calmly.

I shuddered. I ripped his head off. I mean, ripping out hearts is fine. But a head! ''Umm, Theo?''

''Yes, love?'' He looks at me.

''What were the circumstances under which all this happened?'' I ask.

A look of hurt and sadness crossed his eyes, but he blinked it away and continued walking ahead. I wanted to pester him to tell me more, but then decided to drop it. The look in his eyes was enough to let me know that he didn't want to talk about it. I maybe pushy, but even I knew when to back off and give my man his space.

''Hey, so why don't you go ahead to umm- your office, I guess? I'll just hang around here. In fact, I think my stuff must have arrived by now, so I'll just go settle in.''

He stops in his tracks and looks back at me, confusion visible in his eyes. ''You sure?''

''Yeah, totally. You go on, do your thing. I'll meet you later in the afternoon for training.'' I practically shoo him away.

''Okay, I'll see you later.'' In two long strides he closes the distance between us and kisses my forehead, then leaves for the pack house.

The tingles started from where his lips met my skin, travelling down my whole body. My skin lit up on fire from that small kiss. I had to suppress a shiver as I made my way to the house. I mean, Theo has kissed my many times, in fact he has done more than kiss, then why do I feel giddy all over a simple kiss, and that too on the forehead? I rub my hands over my arms, my thoughts still occupied over that one kiss. ''Ugh, it was just a simple kiss, why!?''