Chapter 45

-Athena-

The drive to Crimson pack was fairly quiet. I, for one was really glad for that. Ethan tried to make small talk, but I guess after a few tries he realized I was in no mood to talk and so he left me alone.  However, he kept on glancing at me every now and then and kept on asking me if I was okay.

Of course I was.........not.

''Ena, you okay?'' he asks for the umpteenth time as soon as we arrive at the border and get out of the car.

''Yes Ethan, I'm fine. I've told you already. Now come on, we're almost home.''

''Yeah, but somehow, I don't believe you. Is there something going on between you and Theo? He seemed, umm, I don't know, distant today?''

''Everything is fine Ethan; you don't need to worry.''

''You're sure, right? I mean there was some tension in the air back there,'' he cocks his head in my direction and studies me. ''Have you guys, umm you know, I mean now that you're back together, I'm guessing you've already.... you know what I'm talking about right?''

''Ohhh, I'm so glad we've reached home,'' I run to the house and drop one of my bags on the porch while Ethan follows me and puts down the other two.

''Athena come on, stop being childish. Why didn't you stay at Crescent pack with him? Did he do something to you? Do I need to break some bones?'' He cracks his knuckles in an intimidating manner.

''Chill, brother, chill. He hasn't done anything wrong. I just,'' I release a breath. ''I just wanted to stay here for a while.'' How do I tell him? How do I tell anyone, that I'm scared to face the pack I had abandoned? They'll all think I'm a coward. And that's the last thing I want.

He was about to say something more when the front door flung open. ''Do you two want to get in or would you rather freeze out here?''

''Hey Michelle,'' I wave at her.

''Welcome home Athena,'' she smiles at me, then immediately drops it. ''Get your asses inside the house now, both of you!''

''Geez, what's up with her?''

''That's Michelle for you.'' Ethan replies as he grabs my bags and walks in. I follow him inside, expecting my mom to be waiting for us, but there is no sign of her.

''It's almost midnight Athena, she was tired, so I sent her to bed,'' Michelle tells me as soon as she realizes who I'm looking for.

I nod in response and watch as Ethan walks up to her and kisses her lightly on the lips. She smiles widely and lays her head on the crook of his neck. She fit perfectly with him. Like the way a puzzle piece would. From where I stood, I could see the mark on her neck, courtesy of my brother. I shake my head furiously before my thoughts go on a completely different tangent. Trust me, no sister wants to picture that.

''Is something wrong?'' Ethan, who finally found time to notice I was the awkward audience to their little PDA, asks me.

''No, nothing at all,'' I try to fake a smile as best as I could. And believe me I delivered. Neither of them seemed to notice and just nodded then started making their way up to their room.

''Oh Athena?'' Michelle turns to face me.

''Hmm?'' I cross my arms behind me awkwardly and look at her.

''Your room's done. Don't you want to rest?''

Rest. Yes of course I want to rest. Rest my fist, on Theo freaking Argents face. How dare he not force me to stay back? What harm would it have caused him to open his damn mouth and just say, 'Athena, stay.' How hard is that?