Chapter 53

Chapter 53

Almost everyone had gathered at the cave where the coven of witches had died. There was tension in the air, everyone present there knew what had gone down last year. Everyone except me, that is.

Nadia stood so close to Axel, there was barely space to pass a feather between them. The effects of last year's trauma was clearly visible in her eyes. Ethan was trying to look brave, but deep down he feared for me, his sister. Mila had a solemn look in her eyes as she tried to ignore the memories of last year and focus on the task at hand, which was to help Selene.

''The moon is almost at its apex, are you ready Athena?'' the witch in question asks. She swept her eyes around the open field, unshed tears in her eyes as she remembered her fallen sister, Celeste. She will always love her, but she did not agree to her ways. When Celeste had cast the memory spell on me, she, Selene, wanted no part in it. It was never her intention to harm me in such a way, but she was bound to Celeste who has channelling her power and had no other choice at that time, but now she does. Now she has the chance to right her sisters' wrongs and save whatever is left of her and the new coven she intends to build. Her actions proved to me that she will do what needs to be done.

She will correct the wrong.

''I will do the right thing,'' she whispers to herself before focusing her gaze on Theo, Charles and I. Her lip quirks a little, though the smile never reached her eyes. I watch as she climbs the alter and signals Mila over.

''You ready love?'' Theo asks as he puts his arms around me and hugs me tight. I mimic his actions and breathe in his strong scent. ''You'll come back to me?''

'Always,'' I whisper and let go of him. ''I love you,'' I kiss him softly on the lips before walking up to where Selene is. ''Let's do this.''

''Athena, honey,'' Mom steps forwards and embraces me, ''You come back to me okay, promise me you will. I don't want to lose you too.''

''You won't. I promise mom, I'll come back.'' I wipe her tears and steps up to the alter.

Throwing a quick glance at my brother and the rest of my family, I take in a deep breath then focus my gaze on the witch. A sharp nod from me sends her into work mode.

''Okay, first you need to lie down on this alter,'' she instructs. I do as she says and lie down. She then places four candles at each corner of the alter. Two by my feet and the other two on either side of my head. ''Athena, I need you to relax and calm your mind.''

''Here goes nothing,'' I mutter to myself and take in a long deep breath as I attempt to calm my mind. I close my eyes and focus my hearing on the sound of Theo's heartbeat. He reaches out to me through the mate bond and the feeling of calmness envelopes me, but it only lasts a second. Even before I could register the pain, the metallic smell of blood hit my nose first.

''I'm sorry Athena,'' I heard Mila murmur an apology. She kept my hand upright while Selene sliced through my palm. I winced and kept my eyes shut, just nodding a little to let her know I heard her, and I was fine with it, but someone was not.

''Haven't you drawn enough?'' I hear Theo's raspy voice. He seemed to be having trouble with the amount of blood being drawn.

''Now I have,'' Selene replies, after a minute or so.

''If anything happens to her Selene, I swear-'' He begins, but he's cut off by I'm guessing Charles and Ethan.

''You need to relax, Theo,'' My brother tells him. ''She'll be fine.''

'''Do you wish for me to continue, or are you still not done threatening me?'' Selene questions my mate. I could almost picture her sassy look in my mind, the whole crossed arms and raised brow thing she usually has going on, which is usually topped off with a glare.