12. Blame It On Me

"Was it you or I who stumbled first? It does not matter. The one of us who finds the strength to get up first, must help the other." ~ Vera Nazarian

The Daughter

It'd been a whole month since Maeve's anniversary. 

We were trying to make things go back to normal, in every sense. We were ignoring the fact that we were the brunt of the team's teasing jokes; we avoided being left alone together and we spoke consistently about cases or the team or Jack. 

Every Saturday -or otherwise- when we were home, I went to Aaron's for dinner and Jack and I bonded with each visit.

Things were going great, but there was still something missing.

And each time I thought about it, each time I felt like I was getting closer to the answer, I'd chicken out. 

I knew deep in my heart it was to do with Spencer, but I couldn't think about us, or being together - whether professionally or otherwise - or that night. 

Garcia had stopped pressing matters and I think Morgan had abandoned all hope of teasing something out of us.

I was disappointed in us both; for neither of us having the guts to come out and admit something. But even I didn't know what exactly there was to admit.

I wasn't allowing myself to feel.

"Melanie." Aaron's voice interrupted my reverie and I looked up, frightened that this wasn't the first time he'd tried to catch my attention. Jack was giggling on the rug in front of me and I smirked, shaking my head and ruffling his hair.

"Sorry, I don't know where my mind was at." I apologised truthfully.
"That's okay," he said, sitting his phone back onto the coffee table. "That was Beth," He explained a little sheepishly. "She's heading over," He explained. I gulped.

Oh god.

"I know this is maybe a little last minute, she wasn't due back from New York until Monday,"

I knew she worked in New York and Aaron travelled back whenever he could, but I didn't know she was returning so soon.

"I was planning on talking to you about it at work, but it seems like now's a perfect time," I gulped and blinked up at him. "There's a charity event Beth and I are planning to go to on Friday night," He explained. "It's in association with Beth's work." I nodded my head with a broad smile, intrigued.

"Would you like me to look after Jack?" I predicted. Aaron smiled broadly and shook his head.

"No no, that's quite alright. Jessica's already agreed to have him," He explained.

Jessica was Hayley's sister, Jack's aunt and she babysat Jack anytime Aaron and I were away with the team.

"Beth suggested last week that you come to the event with us," Aaron said suddenly. "She's been so excited to meet you, and she said that the event would be a great opportunity for us all to get to know each other a bit better." I gulped.

What the Hell could I say to that?

"Uhm..."
"I understand this is a little sudden, which is why you don't have to decide right away. I agreed with Beth that'd I'd ask but I totally understand if you think it's too much too soon." I nodded my head slowly, biting my lip.

"Would it be alright if I thought about it?" I asked sheepishly. "It's a wonderful offer, and thank you so much for thinking of me." I explained.

"There's no need to thank me," He chuckled. Apparently, I had a tendency of doing that. "And there's no need to explain," He sat down on the armchair a few feet from me. "Take as long as you need to decide." He told me with a smile and I nodded.