34. It's Better Late Than Never

"Our mothers always remain the strangest, craziest people we've ever met." ~ Marguerite Duras

The Daughter

When we got back from the case on Monday night, we were all exhausted and ready for bed. I don't think Spencer and I had ever been so silent with each other as what we were on the car-ride home; mainly because we were too tired to even talk.

We collapsed into bed and slept straight through into the next afternoon when we were awoken with the buzzer ringing shrilly throughout the apartment.

"Go away." Spencer groaned into my shoulder. And that's how I'd awakened on Tuesday morning. With Spencer Reid sprawled across my chest, his head buried on my chest with his breath pooling the skin around my fading bruise on my neck.

The buzzer sounded again and I groaned, kissing the top of his head while gently pushing him off my body; sliding out of bed and narrowly missing his reaching hands.

I staggered out of the bedroom and into the living room, crossing to the door with the intercom on the wall.

"Hello?" I groaned down the phone as Spencer stumbled out of the bedroom after me, sleepily walking to me with his arms outstretched like a kid.
"Melanie?" Caitlyn's voice spoke through the intercom and I frowned. Why was Caitlyn at our apartment at... I turned and glanced at the clock on the mantle, realising it was one in the afternoon.

"Caitlyn?" I asked as Spencer wrapped his arms around me backwards, his breath tickling my neck as he buried his head into the crook of my neck where he seemed most comfortable. "What're you doing here is everything okay?"

"Can I come up for a sec? I'm sorry for disturbing you it's just I didn't know who else to turn to."
"Y-yeah of course, come right in." I buzzed her through and frowned as I hung the phone back on the wall and unlocked the front door, leaving it ajar for her.

"What's wrong? Why'd you do that?" Spencer mumbled sleepily and I frowned, patting his hands on my waist as I walked us both through to the kitchen, flicking on the coffee-pot.

"She sounded upset, something's not right." I nodded, decided.
"Why couldn't she just call?" He mumbled into my skin and I sighed.

"Maybe she didn't have time." I turned and wrapped my arms around his waist, the pair of us squeezing each other tighter one last time before,
"Melanie!" Was called excitedly by Ben and Daisy in the living room.

Spencer moaned slightly as we realised the kids were here too.
"Hey!" I said excitedly, breaking away from Spencer and hurrying out of the kitchen, into the living room where the kids were looking around for me excitedly, Melanie entering the apartment and closing the door behind her.

"Hey guys." I grinned as they hurried to me. "How are you?" I asked as Spencer exited the kitchen with three coffees. He cautiously walked to the table and set them down as the kids excitedly watched him.

"Are you just out of bed?" Daisy giggled and we both nodded.
"Yeah we were super tired after work yesterday." I explained.

"Did we wake you?" Caitlyn asked apologetically as we both crossed to the sofas. She took to one sofa while Spencer and I took to another, the kids scrambling up onto my lap, fighting for the major place. I sniggered and Spencer chuckled as he wrapped an arm around my shoulder.

"Don't worry about it, we had to get up anyway." He was saying.
"Yeah I didn't realise the time." I admitted, hugging the kids tighter to my chest.

"Hey you guys, why don't you do me a massive favour," I asked Ben and Daisy, pulling back slightly. "Could you maybe find my cell in the bedroom please? I can't seem to find it anywhere."