9. What You Waiting For?

"She don't like to disturb the peace, became attached to the weak at least... It may be true we all need knocking down a few, come find shelter or your shelter with me. With me; breakaway." ~ George Ezra

The Doctor

The whole house exploded with the ferocity of the contraption and the ground shook beneath our feet.

We all ducked by means of instinct and my hands immediately flew to my ears, softening the impact of the sound. As soon as it was over; the flames engulfing the wreckage in certain parts, I knew it was time to go.

"Melanie!" I yelled, but no noise escaped my mouth. A high-pitched screaming was sounding in my ears and my gut told me this was anything but good.

I screamed for her and ran for the building desperately. I was half-way there when my hearing came back intact and I was aware of Hotch and Morgan and the others chasing after me desperately as I cried her name over and over.

"MELANIE WHERE ARE YOU?!" I yelled as I approached the wreckage.

Immediately the emergency services took off for us and my heart beat with the adrenaline.

"MELANIE IT'S GOING TO BE OKAY. HELP IS HERE." I yelled to her, throwing debris out of my path as I climbed through the wreckage of the house. 

Behind me, Hotch was calling her name now too, throwing debris aside to get to her.

As I tossed a metal slab out of my way it landed on a pile of papers which sparked at the impact and created a small fire.

"Reid man c'mon this isn't safe!" Morgan yelled from behind me.
"I'm not leaving her here, Morgan!" I snapped angrily, throwing more things out of my way.

Morgan was right behind me when I found it. I picked up the frame of a chair and threw it away before realising what was beneath it.

There was an arm. A human arm.

I gagged and turned away just as Morgan caught my shoulders and winced behind me.

"It's not hers, it's not, we still need to find her." I said adamantly, refusing to believe that the chalky white arm covered in dirt and dust and blood was Melanie's.

Ratchkins had been in that explosion too.

"Reid man, c'mon, this is hopeless." Morgan said softly, trying to catch my arm and stop me from throwing another chunk of metal out of my path.

As I done so his words sunk in and the image of Melanie's broken expression flashed behind my eyes.

A sob escaped my lips and I closed my eyes, swaying. I fell to the debris under my feet and brought my knees to my chin, covering my face and sobbing like a baby.
"She can't be dead." I cried.

"Reid, it's okay kid." Morgan said in a thick voice, crouching down next to me and placing a gentle hand on my shoulder.
"None of this is okay!" I yelled. I brought my hands away from my face and sniffed, clearing my face of tears. 

"Guys, over here!" Hotch's desperate voice yelled out to us from several yards away. 

I crawled to my knees and struggled to my feet, the debris slicing into my palms and legs as I hurried after Morgan as we raced to Hotch.

The three of us took a corner of a table and yanked it away from the metal trap door of the bunker. Hotch crouched down and took the broken chunk of metal in his hands, pulling it frantically with as much strength as he could muster. Together, I grabbed an end too and before long the trap door was open and slamming onto the debris behind.