13. The Winning Move

"It was like when you make a move in chess and just as you take your finger off the piece, you see the mistake you've made, and there's this panic because you don't know yet the scale of disaster you've left yourself open to." ~ Kazuo Ishiguro

The Daughter

A week had past since my slip-up to Jack, and Aaron was still normal as ever, Spencer completely taking the wrap for it and everything continuing just like normal. 

I had a suspicious feeling though that if that had been me taking the wrap (considering I was the one who actually let slip) then nothing would be normal at all.

So, Jack knew I was his big sister. And Aaron was actually a whole lot more relaxed about it than I'd expected. He didn't give me any additional freedom (which truth be told I had actually expected once Jack knew the truth) and he didn't tighten the reins at all. Things were just... the same.

"I have news," Aaron announced as he entered the conference room where we were all sat at the table. I sat a little straighter, my eyes widening with anticipation. Everyone fell silent and immediately turned to him with bated breath. 

"Jack and I are moving," He said and my heart began to race. "I've just confirmed the purchase of a house far closer to here than the apartment. We'll be moving in towards the end of the week." I looked at him with a massive grin. Closer to work also meant closer to me.

"That's great news, man, congrats." Morgan said, extending his hand for Aaron to shake. Morgan was big on property, so no wonder he was so hyped for Aaron.

"Actually," Aaron turned to me. "It's only around the corner from you Mel," He admitted and my mouth parted in surprise. "Which means you can see Jack a lot more often." I grinned from ear-to-ear. 

"That's wonderful news," I admitted. "I'm so pleased for you both," I admitted. Morgan clamped a happy hand down on my shoulder and Spencer grinned at me excitedly. "Do you need any help with the move?" I asked with excited eyes.

"Actually, that's why I've chosen now to announce it..." He said in an apprehensive tone.
"You need our help?" Prentiss guessed.

"I know it's a lot to ask but..."
"We'd be more than happy to help, sir." Garcia said eagerly.
"Really?" Aaron asked. I peered at everyone who was nodding at Aaron enthusiastically. "That's excellent, thank you all so much."
"We know you'd do the same for us." Morgan said with a smirk.
"Of course." Aaron answered with a similar smile.

*

"So, how d'you feel about Hotch's news?" Spencer asked as the two of us were alone on the case we'd received inviting us to Colorado. 

"Actually I'm pretty excited about it," I admitted truthfully; readjusting my sunglasses. "It means I'll get to see Jack more. I've only seen him once briefly since I... You know... So it'll give us a chance to get a little closer," I smiled. "Also," I cleared my throat. 

"I don't think I've actually properly thanked you for what you did for me last week. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be seeing Jack at all, and I probably wouldn't still have this job. You saved my skin, Spence. Thank you." Spencer scoffed and shook his floppy hair.

"Don't be silly, Melly," He said in that gloriously self-consciously sweet tone of his. "It was the best thing for all of us." He said truthfully, turning to me with a broad smile.

"Nevertheless it was huge and I'm really grateful," I admitted. "I owe you one big time." Spencer chuckled.
"I'll hold you to that."

The Doctor