15. Wake Up and Smell the Coffee

"When you do what you fear most, then you can do anything." ~ Stephen Richards

The Daughter

Once Beth and I had collected some of my stuff from my apartment, Aaron went to work at the BAU and I made myself at home in the spare bedroom of the new house; making it my own considering Beth didn't have plans to let me go back home anytime soon.

I must have fallen asleep at some point, because the sound of the doorbell ringing in the distance awoke me in a sleepy stupor, snuggling beneath a blanket I hadn't remembered covering myself in beforehand.

I rolled onto my back, wincing as I pressed down on my bruises. I sighed heavily before wincing again as the pressure pinched at my strained and weak lungs.

"Melanie sweetheart." Beth's voice sounded from the other side of my bedroom door and a few light knocks were planted on my door. She cracked it open and I smiled broadly as her petite face peered through the crack.

"C'mon in." I smiled sleepily.
"You have a visitor," She grinned with a sparkle in her eyes. I smiled curiously as she stepped properly inside the room, opening the door fully.

"H-hi." Spencer stuttered with a small and nervous smile, appearing in my bedroom doorway with his hands awkwardly behind his back.

"Spence!" I grinned in surprise, sitting up slowly on my bed, folding my legs and patting my mattress beside me.

"What're you doing here?" I asked happily. "Shouldn't you be with the team?"

"A-actually, Strauss' orders were that I'm not allowed back in the field for another forty eight hours at least," He smiled broadly at me. 

"Apparently I'm not well enough either and I'm a liability to the team in my condition."
"You're not well enough?" I gasped. "Why what's happened? Are you alright?" I panicked, watching him with wide eyes as he crossed my room awkwardly, standing next to my bed facing me entirely.

Beth chuckled from beside the door and I turned to her with questioning eyes.

"I'll let you explain it to her," She said to Spencer with a grin. "I'm heading to the store with Jack to get some things in. D'you need anything?" She asked and my eyes narrowed into slits. She chuckled and put her palms in the air.

"Honestly, Spencer caught me almost on my way out the door." I rolled my eyes with a smile and shook my head.
"I'm okay thanks."
"Alright well I'll see you when we're back. Good to see you again Spencer."

He said goodbye and she smiled at me broadly, her eyes twinkling as she ducked back out of the room, closing the door behind her.

I turned to Spencer with questioning eyes.
"Okay, I know I'm just awake but I'm seriously missing something here." I said, running my hands over my face to clear it.

He smiled and shifted his weight on his feet awkwardly before sighing and producing a bunch of bright yellow sunflowers from behind his back with a broad smile.

"These are for you," He smiled. "I saw them and thought of you." He insisted. My mouth parted but no words came.

I accepted the bunch of my favourite flowers and got to my feet, throwing my arms around him in a spontaneous hug.

"They're gorgeous Spencer," I told him truthfully, a little emotionally. "I love them," I told him, kissing his cheek as I pulled away and observed the bunch.

"But how did you know they were my favourites?" I asked and he looked at me blankly.

"T-they're you're favourites?" He asked and I smiled, nodding my head excitedly.