22. Gratitude

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for."  ~ Epicurus

The Doctor

"Which is why, Beth, I'm now asking you if you'll do me the greatest honour in becoming my wife?"

My eyes flew wide and my mouth parted in shock, Aaron's words completely taking me by surprise. I immediately turned to Mel next to me just as she done the same to me, her expression a complete mirror to mine.

We both looked back at Aaron and Beth to see her turning to Mel with emotional eyes. I quickly looked back at Mel too to find her smiling and nodding her head in encouragement at Beth.

"Aaron I..." Beth laughed and covered her mouth with her hand briefly before nodding her head as tears poured over her eyes. "Yes," She gushed. "Of course I'll marry you." She gasped before leaping into Aaron's arms.

We all exploded into an eruption of applause, Mel flattening herself to my side, her grin sincere and honest as Jack squealed and threw his arms around Aaron and Beth.

Aaron's expression was one of sheer happiness as he wrapped his arms around his fiancé and son, opening his eyes and waving Mel forward.

She looked completely surprised by this for a moment before slowing walking forwards to Aaron's bedside, apprehensively leaning down before Beth and Jack yanked her forwards, down into the hug with the three of them.

Standing back and watching the four of them; I felt myself growing emotional. I'd seen Aaron truly happy before, only a handful of times.

But now, now he was completely overjoyed. He had his family back. This family was different from his last, but it was stronger than ever before.

He had his daughter by his side; his daughter who had fought her whole life to belong to someone, to belong to a family, to find her parents and to be loved.

Now she had that family. She'd found her father, and he loved her more than she could ever have imagined.

To watch the four of them so happy and together made me the happiest I could ever be.

The happiness was interrupted by Penelope's cell buzzing in her pocket.

"No," JJ whined. "Not another case, we haven't even been home yet." She whined.

"It's Strauss." Penelope said in a fearful voice.

"I'll take care of this." Rossi said matter-of-factly, taking the cell out of Penelope's hand and leaving the room.

"Oh of course," Beth smiled from Aaron's mattress where she sat with her arm around his shoulder, her hand laced with Mel's. "They're together now aren't they?" She smiled down at Aaron and he groaned despite his smile.

"Don't remind me," He chuckled. "This unit is under extreme scrutiny after Alaska."

"Alaska?" Beth echoed. "You haven't been there in months." She shook her head in confusion.

"Yes but..." Aaron cast his eyes to Mel who groaned.
"This isn't about what I said is it?" She moaned.

"The Director caught wind of you and Spencer's relationship as well as Erin and Dave's," Aaron explained. "At New Year he was gauging the strength of the team as well as the relationships among us,"

Aaron explained, taking his arm from around Jack to rub his forehead before replacing it again.

"Let's just say he's waiting for the case where we slip up." I looked at Mel and she looked at me.