26. Reconciliation

"Moments of kindness and reconciliation are worth having, even if the parting has to come sooner or later." ~ Alice Munro

The Daughter

"And you're sure you've got all you need?" I asked Spencer as we left the supermarket.
"Uh...yeah... i'm sure that's everything." He said skeptically, peering at the bags we carried to my car.

"I'll tell you what, why don't we grab a coffee and if anything else comes to mind we can pop back?"

He grinned and nodded enthusiastically, piling the bags inside the boot of my car.

We'd had a great day so far; bickering over the different things to get in the supermarket and just being like any other couple.

We'd never really had the chance to be like that before what with work and my dad breathing down our necks. It was nice.

"So are you going for your boring usual or are you going to experiment?" I asked conversationally as we made our way to the door of the coffee shop.

"Oh c'mon Mel," Spencer laughed, pushing the door open and holding it for me. "You know me. My boring usual is excellent. Why fix what isn't broken?"

"Melanie?" A familiar voice interrupted whatever it was I'd been about to say to Spencer as I looked up and met eyes with Caitlyn.

"Caitlyn?" I asked, my old best-friend standing merely a foot in front of me looking at me warily as she held a take-away coffee-cup in her hands. She glanced at Spencer and I laughed.

"It's alright he knows everything now." I explained before stepping forward and throwing my arms around her; her expression cracking into a wide grin of relief.

"I can't believe it," She laughed as I pulled back. "What're the chances of bumping into each other again?" She laughed.

"What're you doing in Virginia?" I asked with a broad smile.

"Oh," She smiled and tucked her hair behind her ear. "My partner's family live here." She said and I grinned at her.

"So you've finally settled down then huh?"

She laughed and cleared her throat bashfully.
"We've just moved here actually." She explained and I glanced up at Spencer briefly who was smiling down at us broadly.

"This is excellent, I can't believe it." I repeated for like the thousandth time.
"So... How are you now? How's the BAU?"

I smirked and shook my head.

"I am so sorry for New York last year Catty," I apologised sincerely. "It's just, I'd just found my dad and-."
"Hold on what?!" I looked up at Spencer with a blush and then cleared my throat.

"Yeah I uh... I found my dad. He's uh... He's kind of my boss now." I gave a self conscious giggle and Caitlyn looked as though she was about to pass out.

"We have to have a proper catch up Mel," She said matter-of-factly. "You're working with your dad now? I can't believe it, i'm so happy for you," She threw her arms around me with a proper grin.

"This is unbelievable." Just at that a tall man with dark hair and a thick beard to match his thick-framed glasses approached and put his hand on Caitlyn's shoulder.

"Ready babe?" He said in a thick husky accent and I looked at Caitlyn with wide eyes.

This was her boyfriend?

"Yeah uh," She looked up at him with a smile. "Kieran this is my old friend Mel," She said, gesturing to me and Kieran's eyes lit up. "Mel this is my partner Kieran." I grinned from ear-to-ear and gave a small wave.