21. What's Meant To Be Will Be

"Realize that if a door is closed, it's because what was behind it wasn't meant for you." ~ Mandy Hale

The Daughter

"Mel?" Aaron's voice called out as soon as I was through the front door, Spencer sneaking in behind me.

"Yeah it's only me." I called out just before the TV muted and he hurried out of the living room, stopping as he laid eyes on Spencer before laughing at our current appearance.

"So how did the decorating go?" He asked with a smirk and Spencer and I looked at each other. We looked ridiculous. We felt it too; the pain in my body was completely shocking.

"It was uh... interesting." I decided on eventually, giving a short nod of my head.

"It looks like I missed out on a lot of... fun." He said, folding his arms and leaning against the doorframe.

"Yeah... Well... I said Spencer could stay the night, is that okay?" I asked, feeling a little out of line after everything I'd admitted to before leaving for Morgan's.

"Sure. Of course. I was just heading to bed." He explained, jerking his thumb towards the stairs while crossing the hall. "Would either of you like anything before I head up?" He asked.

"That's okay, I'm just looking forward to a hot bath and my bed." I admitted and Spencer nodded in agreement as we headed for the stairs.

He was being unusually quiet; but that was probably because he was already aware of our previous status and had no doubt that Aaron would've also picked up on this.

"Alright, well I'll see you both in the morning."
"Good night."

"You can shower first," I told Spencer as I threw myself down on my desk chair. "I insist. It'll give me time to pick the paint from my tattoos and make sure they're still there." Spencer frowned in confusion.

"Why, will washing the paint off chip them?" He asked in such an innocent tone. I chuckled and shook my head.

"Oh Spence I was only kidding," I admitted and he blushed bashfully, one of his dimples showing. "I'll find you some clothes to wear while you shower." I explained and he smiled, ducking back out of my room.

In the drawer I found his hoodie and a t-shirt he'd left behind a few months ago. Unfortunately there wasn't any spare sets of trousers - pyjama or otherwise - or underwear, so he'd just have to make do other than that.

I didn't want a repeat of the awkwardness and embarrassment of last time Spence showered here, so instead I left the pile of clothes outside the bathroom door, chewing on my lip the whole time.

I felt myself dozing off when Spence re-entered my room with dripping hair dressed in the t-shirt I'd left on the floor outside the bathroom as well as his underwear. Obviously.

"Bathroom's free." He smiled and I grinned sleepily as I got up off the chair. "Although taking a bath in your current state might not be the best idea..." He mused.

"Current state?" I echoed.
"Mhmm..." He nodded, chewing on his lip and following me out of my bedroom. "I mean, you could fall asleep in the bath and drown." I turned to him, shaking my head in awe and chuckling as I pushed inside the bathroom saying,

"Spence I'll be fine I'm not that-" My sentence trailed off as I entered the bathroom to find the bathtub completely filled with bubbles, steam rising from the water and my scented candles lit at the end of the bath.

"Aw Spence," I cooed. "Aw," I turned to him and reached a paint-spotted hand out, touching his face lightly. "If I wasn't covered in paint I'd most likely hug you to death right now." I told him matter-of-factly.