2. Team

"May your adventures bring you closer together, even as they take you far away from home." ~ Trenton Lee Stewart

The Daughter

The rhythmic click of my heels against the marble was a soothing relaxant. I was certain he'd be pissed to see me again, but that was the same with most people nowadays; I wasn't a welcomed face.

"Agent Brenda Joyner?" I met the cool blue eyes of a blonde-haired young woman, a broad smile on her face as her eyes sparkled.
"Yes?" I smiled in return, stepping out of the elevator.
"I'm Agent Jennifer Jareau."

"Oh hi," I nodded in remembrance; having spoken on the phone with JJ that morning. "I'm not late am I?" We shook hands and she laughed, shaking her head.
"No, not by any means, in fact, I think you're early..."

"By eight point three three minutes." A slightly annoying Vegas accent sounded from over my left shoulder and I turned to see a tall skinny man standing looking displeased. He was wearing a brown overcoat with what appeared to be a khaki woollen waistcoat and a striped navy shirt underneath. He was also wearing khaki trousers and black converse. And looked extremely young (and out of place) for the BAU.

"Ah," JJ gave a short laugh and paused just by the clear glass doors; we weren't even in the BAU yet. "This is Doctor Spencer Reid," JJ leaned a little closer to whisper, "He doesn't do hand-shakes," Before straightening and smiling at the young man. "Reid this is the latest member of our team, Agent Brenda Joyner."

Reid frowned and looked skyward slightly, thinking of something before grinning and meeting my eyes.

"I didn't know Agent Kate Joyner had a daughter." I smiled my best and shrugged.
"I don't even think she did, Doctor." I said in my best voice. Reid's eyes went a little wide and he nodded, his hands in his pockets.

"Are you mad because the newbie bet you upstairs, Reid?" JJ guessed, folding her arms.
"No," He scoffed in a defensive tone, licking his lips and working his jaw as if he was thinking of something to say. "I was just... Thinking of an equation." He practically yelled this before pushing through the glass doors.

"He's a little sensitive in the mornings," JJ smiled at me and I laughed, nodding my head as I began to realise that. "C'mon, let's go meet the rest of the team."

As I entered the small room with the oval table and the big screen; it was like all my dreams had come true. I'd dreamt of working in this unit; in this very room for my whole career. My grandparents hadn't shied away from the fact that my mother was an Agent in the FBI, and they didn't hold back on telling me every scope and detail of her ambitions, and how she'd always aimed for the BAU but just wasn't quite good enough. I think it's fair to say that message had pretty much stuck with me for a whole twenty-eight years. Or at least for the most part.

"Agent Joyner, this is SSA Derek Morgan and David Rossi, and our technical analyst Penelope-"
"Garcia," I finished in awe, looking at the miraculously colourful human being. "I've heard so much about you. I used to work with Kevin." The atmosphere in the room almost instantly changed as Garcia shifted in her seat.

"Oh, honey, I used to share a bed with the man, his words cannot be trusted!" She laughed delicately and extended her hand across the table. "I hope all the rumours you've heard are true." She said in a devilish tone as we shook hands.
"So do I, believe me." I smiled, turning to the milk-chocolate sculpture of muscular heaven that was Derek Morgan on Garcia's right side.

"I didn't know Kate had a daughter," He repeated the Doctor's words from before and I refrained from rolling my eyes. I had a feeling this was all I was going to get for the next few weeks at least. "But it's good to meet you, Joyner."