17. What Makes You Beautiful

"For Attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run their fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone. People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms. As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself and the other for helping others." ~ Sam Levenson

The Daughter

Spencer and I have now been dating for two months. Alaska was a month ago now, and we haven't seen or heard from Strauss since then.

Aaron explained how she didn't ask after either Spencer or I but occasionally checked in on how the team were doing.

Rossi and I were totally fine; it wasn't him I had the problem with. I was kind of irritated because before Alaska; Strauss and I had got along pretty well.

She'd been keen on admitting me to the BAU and happily accepted my transfer papers even before Aaron had accepted me to the team. She'd stuck by me through the trouble and animosity between us in the beginning and encouraged me to stick with it; that the air would thin out sooner or later. Now however, I couldn't stomach to even think of her.

Hypocrite.

Next week is Christmas, and for the next fortnight we have no work. We all have two and a half weeks of BAU-free time and I cannot wait for it.

I awoke to the sound of my phone ringing not all that long after noon. Smiling at the ID I answered with a sleepy,

"Hey Spence."
"Good afternoon sleepy head."
"You're one to talk," I joked, rolling onto my back while yawning. "How are you?" I asked and I heard him smile.

Yes, heard him smile.

"I'm great thank you, how are you this fine afternoon?"
"All the better for being awoken by you."
"And you call me cheesy!" He laughed.

"Anyway, what're your plans for our first day of freedom?" He asked and I heard a crunch.
"Well," I thought. "Nothing," I laughed after a pause. "Spence what're you doing?" I enquired as I heard more crunching.
"What?" He mumbled. "Oh," He laughed. "Sorry I'm eating an apple,"

We both chuckled and the crunching stopped. "Well, I'm pleased you have no plans, because I was thinking you could come over for dinner later on...?" He asked and I grinned.

"To your apartment?" I enquired with a grin.
"I promise I've cleaned." He joked.
"What time should I come over?" I asked.

"Is six okay? I'm making spaghetti." I tried not to cheer.
"Sounds perfect," I agreed. "Will I bring pyjamas?"
"If you're referring to your pair of bobbly leggings and my hoodie you still have then yes, you can bring them."

I laughed at his totally sarcastic tone and turned to the door as it volleyed open and Jack ran in, jumping on my bed excitedly.

"Sounds great, I have to go," I laughed, ruffling Jack's hair and batting his hand away as he tried to do the same to me. Aaron then appeared in the doorway with a cup of coffee and a smile. "See you later."

"Not if I see you first." We hung up and I sat up on the bed, taking the coffee from Aaron's hands with a good morning and a thank you.

"Making plans?" He asked, folding his arms with a smile.
"I'm going to Spencer's for dinner." I explained.
"Sounds lovely," He smiled and I nodded enthusiastically.