16. We're the FBI

"It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit." ~ Noël Coward

The Daughter

I got out of the bed and made it neatly, pulling open the curtains and admiring the view of the park across the road; at the early morning sunrise brightening the street and showing dog-walkers and joggers going about their business in the park.

Smiling happily to myself I made my way into the kitchen and poured two coffees from the coffee-pot that had been set to make the coffee just after Spencer's alarm had gone off.

No wonder I'd smelled coffee earlier.

I took my coffee to the window, peering outside and watching the morning brighten as Spencer got ready.

"You okay?" His voice made me jolt as his hand slid into mine, joining me by the window with his coffee. I looked up at him with a sleepy smile.

"Yeah," I admitted, leaning against him and letting go of his hand so I could wrap my arm around him as I turned back to the window. "Yeah, I'm great." I told him truthfully. He turned his face into my hair and kissed my head.
"Good," He said. "Me too."

We finished our coffees and I slid back inside my jacket, shivering at the coldness of the material next to my warm and sleepy clothes.

"Here," Spencer said, holding out a navy blue pull-over hoodie. "You won't be so cold." He smiled and I grinned up at him, sliding back out of my jacket and accepting the hoodie. I pulled it over my head; his wonderful smell filling my nostrils as I pulled my hair out of the hood and slid into my coat.

"Thank you, it's perfect." I told him, stepping forward and stretching onto my tip-toes to peck him lightly on the lips. He smiled broadly at me, lacing our hands together as I took my car keys and led him out of the apartment.

*

"I-I'll just wait here." Spencer stuttered as I pulled up outside the house.
"Oh no, you will not," I told him, loosening his seat-belt as I did the same with my own. "I need support in there," I said, nodding to the house. "And besides, Aaron will be leaving soon." I explained with a small and pleading smile.

"He's my boss, Mel." He frowned, looking from the window to my face, his expression softening as I looked at him pleading.

"He's my boss too, Spence," I whispered. "It just so happens that he's also my dad... That kind of trumps your card." I smirked and Spencer smiled.

"Okay fine." He groaned and I smiled, leaning over and kissing his cheek.

Beth had already left to take Jack to school, and Aaron was just shrugging inside his suit jacket as I unlocked the front door and stepped inside. His eyes grew a little wider and his mouth parted as if he were about to say something, and then his eyes fell on Spencer entering the house behind me.

Spencer nodded at my dad and I cleared my throat, an awkward silence enveloping the three of us in the hallway.

I sighed and rolled my eyes, of course, I'd be the first to break the silence. 

"I'm sorry I stayed out all night," I apologised. "I had to clear my head and think about what I was going to do," I explained. 

"I should have texted to let you know where I was... but that's part of the problem...

 "I've decided that I'll move in with you and Jack on one condition," I reasoned. "You have to be able to accept Spencer and me as a couple. We're together now whether you approve or not. If you can't accept that then I'll take my things back to my apartment tonight."