23. The Gift of Love

"Any fool can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a daddy." ~ Philip Whitmore Senior

The Daughter

"Can I talk to you guys for a minute?" I asked, entering the living room after Jack had gone to bed. The engagement party had been a week ago now, and I'd finally made my decision.

"What's wrong sweetheart?" Beth asked as my dad muted the TV.

"Well..." I sighed emphatically, sitting down on the armchair opposite the sofa they were sat on.

"I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I've decided that I'd like to give you both some space together. It's not fair that I should always be here under your feet when you want to spend time together. So, I've decided that I'm going to move out." I nodded my head, unsure of what else to say to soften the blow.

The pair looked at each other in surprise; wide eyes and parted mouths.

"Mel, you don't have to do this..." My dad insisted, shifting and straightening on the sofa.

"No, no I do," I nodded. "You guys will be getting married in a couple years, and I don't want to get in the way of that... I don't like bringing Spencer here all of the time because I don't want to get in the way of your time together when we finally have the time to spend here at home.

"I'll still look after Jack whenever you guys want me to, and that way you'll have the whole house to yourselves... Believe me this isn't a decision I've made lightly, I've been thinking about it since we got back from Denver, and more so since last week... I think it's the best decision for us all."

"But Melanie..." Beth said in a sad tone. "I don't want you to move out," She insisted. "I mean, I love us all living together," She explained. "We're a family, and isn't that what families do?" She asked.

"They do," I agreed with a lump in my throat and tears pooling in my eyes. "But you guys need your space to be together, and I need my space too I suppose..."

"You don't have to do this, Mel," My dad said with sad eyes. I nodded my head in understanding. "We love you living with us. Please, why don't you stay?" He asked.

"We'll give you and Spencer your space, and you can take Jack to Spencer's whenever we need space - which won't be often." I shook my head with a smile.

"You'll be married before we know it - you'll need your space. I'll still take Jack, but it will be often because he's my little brother and I love him and you'll want to do your own thing just like Spencer and I will too... Please... I think this is best for us all."

"Well we can't force you to stay," My dad said, sitting forward. "I only wish we'd had more time together, as a family," Beth laced her fingers through his and smiled at him sadly. The tears dropped from my eyes and i sniffed, frantically brushing them away.

I didn't want to leave my family, but we both needed our space.

"You're almost thirty," My dad continued with a small and emotional chuckle. "So it's only fair you have your own space," He sighed. "I only wish we had more time to together." He repeated.

We all looked at each other emotionally before my dad got up and crossed the room to me, gesturing for me to stand up. He pulled me into his arms emotionally and held me there tightly.

"Melanie sweetheart," Beth whispered softly, crossing the room to my dad and I. Slowly I stepped out of the hug, sniffling.

"Your dad and I love you dearly," She said. "He hasn't had you for long... Whether it's right or wrong, we both feel like we're losing you in a small way," She explained, sweeping the hair and tears from my cheeks.