14. Life Support

"She didn't need to understand the meaning of life; it was enough to find someone who did, and then fall asleep in his arms and sleep as a child sleeps, knowing that someone stronger than you is protecting you from all evil and all danger." ~ Paulo Coelho

The Technical Analyst

"Melanie gave this to me..." Jack's little voice was so small as he sat on the floor opposite me with a few of his cars. He showed me the SUV in his hand and Morgan whimpered on the chair behind me. 

I reached behind my back and gently tapped his calf comfortingly as I gasped and observed the miniature SUV Jack was showing me.

"Wow, that's just like the one your daddy drives." Jack nodded enthusiastically with a small smile.

"Melanie drives one too..." He told me gently. "These are her favourites..." He said, pointing to the digger, the limousine and the BMW on his lap. "She said she's always wanted to drive a convertible." He said as he showed me the BMW.

"Really?" I said. "She'll love it when she wakes up." I nodded.

There was a short silence as Jack twirled the BMW in his hand.
"Did you know she's my big sister?" He whispered, leaning towards me as though it was a huge secret.

I leaned towards him and looked around us.

"I did know that," I nodded. "She's very proud of it." I told him with a smile.
"I like having her as a big sister. She's funny." He told me with a smile.

"I know," I nodded and sighed. "She's my best friend." I told him. He looked up at me with sad eyes before crawling across the waiting-room floor and climbing onto my lap, wrapping his arms around me securely. I closed my eyes and hugged the little boy back.

"Beth's calling, if Mel wakes up, I'm outside." Hotch stuck his head in the door, gesturing to his phone before hurrying out. We all nodded and Jack tried to get to his feet off my lap.

"Let's leave your daddy to talk Jacky." I said softly, catching his hand.
"Can I go see Mel please?" He asked in a small voice and my eyes widened, I hadn't realised that had been where he'd wanted to go.

"Sure of course." I got to my feet and gathered him into my arms again, Morgan following behind, his hands on my shoulders behind me for support as I struggled with Jack's impressive weight.

We crossed the hallway to Melanie's private room and my heart plummeted into my stomach, tears immediately pouring over my eyes as we took in the scene before us.

"Is Spencer so sad because he loves Melanie?" Jack asked me. I sighed and nodded my head, rubbing Jack's back in my arms as we watched Spencer clutching one of Melanie's hands to his lips, his eyes closed as his chest shook slightly.

"Yes, he is, little guy. He loves your big sister very much." Morgan answered when I couldn't. Jack nodded his head in understanding.
"I knew it," He said. "They're with each lots and he always gives her big smiles," I grinned at the little boy through my tears, knowing exactly what he meant. 

"And she always laughs when he talks, even when it's not funny." I smiled at his expression and he giggled.

"They're what the grown-ups call in denial." I told him gently.

"Indie Niall?" Jack frowned in confusion, looking up at me from my lap. I smirked and shook my head.

"In denial," I said slowly. "It's when grown-ups don't tell each other how they really feel about each other." Jack frowned.

"Well, that's silly." I laughed and nodded my head in agreement.
"Yes, mini-Ron. It is very silly."

The Doctor