32. It's All About The Impact

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."  ~ Roald Dahl

The Daughter

We all watched him go in awe, completely speechless. Without saying anything I headed for the door in a panic, desperate just to make sure he was okay.

"Melanie, I don't think that's a good idea." My dad said, catching my hand.
"Dad," I said impatiently. "Whatever's going on, Spencer's mum is clearly in trouble," I said. "So," I yanked my hand from his grip, turning to eye the rest of my team. "If any of you disagree, I suggest we get our things together and head to Vegas," They all shared apprehensive expressions.

"What?" I posed. "You disagree?" I scoffed and folded my arms. "Oh, so when kids are involved you're the first ones on the scene, but as soon as an adult gets involved you don't care less right?"

"It's not that Melanie it's just..." Emily looked sceptical and was saved from finishing her sentence as Garcia entered the room and froze in the doorway.

"What's happened?" She asked worriedly, sensing the tense atmosphere.
"Well," I threw my hands in the air, knowing we were wasting time. "Someone called Kate Callaghan has abducted Spencer's mum in Vegas."

"What?!" Garcia blurted. "Kate?" I frowned in confusion and looked at every one individually. "You're saying Kate done this?" She asked, enraged and appalled. 

"You know her?" I asked before freezing and shaking my head. "Look it doesn't matter. I have to check Spencer's okay." I rushed from the room before anyone else could think of stopping me.

I left the conference room and hurried downstairs into the bullpen. 

If I was Spencer, and I was mad, where would I go?

Seeing as I knew he wouldn't go home I decided to check the toilets instead.

I hurried along the empty corridor to the male restroom and sheepishly hesitated outside. I opened my mouth and leaned forward to knock on the door, but not before a loud crash echoed from inside and Andersen came hurrying out frantically, a little breathless with wide eyes.

"Andersen!" I gushed, jumping back as he exited the restroom in such a hurry. "Is Spencer in there?"

"Reid?" He blurted before frantically nodding his head and hurrying off down the corridor.

I hesitated again before I heard another crash.
"Sod it." I muttered before pushing inside the male toilets.

The memory of public bathrooms almost swallowed me whole in a wave of grief and I had to catch my breath before pushing further inside, seeing Spencer kick open another bathroom stall, swearing and cursing childishly.

"Spencer!" I blurted, hurrying forwards and trying to catch him before he could hurt himself. "You have to calm down." I told him calmly as he thrashed in a circle, trying to shrug off my calming touch.

"She has my mom, Mel, she has her, it was her all along." He shouted angrily and I nodded my head, trying to pull him to face me so he would calm down.

"I know, I know, love, but c'mon this isn't helping at all." I told him in a quiet voice.

"How do you know what's helping me?!" He demanded; turning his angry eyes on me, a vein popping in his jaw.

I opened my mouth to answer but nothing came out. 

I was surprised by how I was reacting.

I wasn't put off by his anger; I was aroused by it.