6. CH3CH2OH

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~ Frank Sinatra

The Daughter

It was early. Too early for my liking, and my phone was persistently ringing beneath my pillow.

"Hello?" I groaned down the phone.

"Joy my little sugarplum I hate to do this to you but we need you, my Angel." 

I groaned and squashed my face into the pillows.

"Garci, it's my day off, please tell me you're kidding? We just got home last night."

"I know, I know, I'm sorry but Vegas needs you. There's been several rapes and murders over the past fortnight and Hotch can't come in."
"What? Why?" My head lifted from the pillow and I forced myself into a sitting position. "Has something happened?" I gasped worriedly and hopped out of bed, clambering for my wardrobe.

"No, no, it's just..." Garcia's voice sounded strained on the other end of the line. "Jack's sick so he's staying behind."
"Oh," I paused a little worriedly, chewing on my bottom lip. Should I ask more? Should I hold back? "Is he okay?" I asked quietly.

"He'd just like your dad to stay behind with him, you know what kids are like when they're sick." I nodded in understanding. 

"Okay," I sighed, wishing that Hotch had been there all of the times I'd been sick as a kid. I rested my phone between my shoulder and my ear as I fished an outfit from my wardrobe. "I'll be there in ten." I decided on eventually.

Slightly later than promised I entered the BAU with a round of coffee and bagels; knowing we'd all be cranky with the early morning.

"I come bearing gifts." I exclaimed as I entered the conference room. Everyone cheered happily as I passed around the coffees and bagels, and Morgan even kissed my cheek with happiness. I laughed and swatted him away before taking to my seat.

"Alright, every night over the past couple of weeks, a girl has been abducted from a busy, crowded local bar or club. Each girl holds the same characteristics, personality and lifestyle. The day after each abduction the girl's body is found in another busy, crowded area. Nobody sees or hears anything in each of the instances." Garcia explained.

"Current death count stands at thirteen?" Reid gasped.
"Why haven't we been called in sooner?" I demanded angrily.
"Pride my dear, it affects those hugely in Vegas," Reid cleared his throat and Garcia met his eyes apologetically. "Apologies oh-so-wise-one, no insult intended." We all smirked at each other over our files as Reid settled back down.

"You say nobody seen or heard anything?" Morgan clarified.
"Not a dicky bird my sweet. Not even after the discovery of the body. In each instance, there has either been no CCTV in operation or it's hit dead-ends."
"Alright so-"
"If I may be so bold," Garcia interrupted Morgan as we all turned to him with eager eyes. Morgan frowned at her and she smiled bashfully at him. 

"I'm only following orders, so please do not shoot the messenger, especially because I don't think my body can handle being shot at... again..." Morgan pursed his lips and arched an eyebrow at her so she got to the point pretty quickly. 

"Hotch was pretty emphatic about who would be leading this case, and unfortunately my sweet chocolate man, you are not the one he requested."

My mouth parted in surprise as I turned my focus onto Rossi opposite me. Sure, he may look like grandpa material, but I had no doubt Rossi could hold up his own party pretty well.

"What? Then who was?" Morgan asked in shock. Suddenly everybody turned to me and I blinked up at Garcia who was smiling broadly at me.

"Ye better get right down to it, Boss." Garcia winked at me and tried to do her best English accent, almost making me laugh.