37. Small Bump

"A flower bloomed already wilting. Beginning its life with an early ending." ~ R.J. Gonzales

The Doctor

Angela kneed the officer crudely in the crotch just as he tried to snatch at her wrists, the movement shoving her off-balance. She staggered back, tumbling over Melanie as she crouched over in pain from the woman's previous punch.

The pair fell to the floor just as I rushed to Melanie's side, seeing the entire altercation in slow-motion.

"Melanie, it's okay, it's okay!" I gushed, my gun abandoned on the floor as Aaron called for medics and dropped to his knees beside us.

"Spencer, look." Aaron said in a small voice as we realised Angela had cracked her head on the wooden play-pen on her way down, her eyes staring blankly up at the ceiling, blood pouring from her head, her elbow sticking into our bump.

Melanie too was unconscious, the collision with the floor a lot harsher than I'd initially thought.

"Melanie you're okay, it's okay, Melly..." We managed to move Angela off her body and Melanie began stirring, her hands instinctively fussing over her bump.

"The baby... the baby..." She was mumbling. 

"Melly baby listen to me, the baby is fine, okay, the baby is going to be fine." I said in a stern but panicked tone, my arms desperately holding her tighter.

"What the Hell happened?!" Morgan demanded as he and the rest of the team ran inside the room.

"Melly baby, it's okay, it was just a bump." I said.

"Spencer..." Aaron said in a dreaded tone.
"Not now Aaron." I snapped.
"Spencer." He repeated in a low voice and I looked at him with a broad expression. 

I looked to where he gestured and noticed blood seeping through Melanie's jeans. 

"No," I whimpered, "No... No Melanie no," I cried, tears pooling in my eyes as I sobbed and she continued to moan and wince in my arms.

"The baby..." She moaned, her tearful eyes turning onto mine as my own tears fell onto her cheeks. "The baby..." She whimpered breathlessly. "Save the baby." She choked.
"We're going to save you both, everything's going to be just fine Melly, you're gonna be okay." I said before her entire body spasmed and she cried out in agony.

"Melanie?!" I choked in shock, the white carpet stained with a pool of her blood as she writhed in my arms, sobbing.
"Something's wrong!" She sobbed, gripping my tie. "The baby! The baby!" She yelled as Aaron ran into the room followed by the two medics.

"Sir step aside." The male said.
"This is my fiancé, I'm staying here." I said sternly, my eyes never leaving Melanie's as her tiny hand clutched at my own in desperation.

"Save the baby, please, the baby, save her."
"Sir please." I placed Melanie on the floor and moved aside, my hand still laced in her own.
"Please save the baby." Melanie choked as the medics got her onto a board and lifted her; the four of us rising. 

"We'll do our best, ma'am." The male said.
"No, save the baby. Not me, save the baby." She choked, our hands losing touch as we reached the stairs.

I halted at the top as they descended; realising that it may come down to whether my child, or my fiancé lives.

The Daughter

"Ugh," I groaned, the monotonous bleeping by my head making my headache throb even worse. "If I wake up like this again I hope I never wake up again." I joked, my head spinning as I opened my eyes to bright lights and Beth's broken expression as she realised I was awake and got to her feet.