19. Beside Every Great Man Is A Great Woman

"There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment." ~ Sarah Dessen

The Daughter

"MELANIE!" Jack's voice was heard screaming at the living room window as Spencer and I pulled up outside the house.

I'd left my car at the airport so I drove us back to mine where Spencer was going to have dinner.

The pair of us laughed together as we climbed out of the car and Jack came running like a rocket out of the front door, throwing himself at me before I'd properly balanced myself on the pavement.

"Hey little guy." I laughed, ruffling his hair as Aaron and Beth hurried down the path to Spencer and I.

"It's so good to have you back!" Beth gushed as she threw her arms around both Jack and I, kissing my cheek.

"Did you have a good trip?" Aaron asked, patting Spencer's back.
"Yeah it was good to see my mom again." Spencer admitted truthfully as I set Jack down on his feet, allowing him free to run at Spencer.

"Spencer's mom is so lovely," I told Aaron as he stepped forward and wrapped his arms around me. "We had a great time in Vegas." I admitted.

"That's excellent, I can't wait to hear all about it." Aaron said, pulling back and wrapping an arm around my shoulder as I popped the boot.

*

"Well, I have some good news..." Aaron began after dinner. Spencer and I looked at each other with wide eyes and arched eyebrows.

"The Director called me earlier today to invite the BAU to the annual New Year Ceremony overlooking Times Square." My mouth fell open and my eyes went even wider than before; Spencer and I scoffing in surprise.

"Times Square as in New York?" Spencer questioned and Aaron nodded his head enthusiastically.

"Plus one for every member of the team..." Aaron explained and I turned to Spencer with a massive grin.

"So we're going?" I asked and Aaron laughed, nodding his head.

"I already have my plus one sorted..." He explained, inclining his head to Beth who was grinning like a maniac beside him at the table. 

"And JJ has asked me personally to ask you Spencer if you'd include Henry as your own plus one?" Spencer grinned from ear-to-ear.

"I'd be honoured." He nodded and I smiled,
"I'll happily take Jack." Aaron looked at Beth with a broad smile.
"Excellent."

*

"Ugh Morgan's wanting to go Tux shopping tomorrow." Spencer groaned, throwing his phone down on the nightstand as he flopped down onto my bed beside me.

Shortly after dinner Beth had offered Spencer to stay the night and we'd both agreed that was probably for the best seeing as it was edging on ten o'clock and Spencer didn't want me out driving 'so late'.

Excuses excuses.

"They must've coordinated for when we got home," I had my eyes narrowed and set my own phone down on the nightstand, flicking the light out and laying down next to Spencer.

"Garcia wants to go dress shopping tomorrow with Emily, Beth and JJ."

"Ugh typical!" Spencer groaned as I snuggled down against his chest.

"Everyone wants a piece of us!" I scoffed and Spencer laughed.

"Including ourselves." He smiled against my cheek, wrapping his arms around me tightly.