33. Take Me To Church

"If the heavens ever did speak she's the last true mouthpiece. Every Sunday's getting more bleak, a fresh poison each week. "We were born sick", you heard them say it. My church offers no absolutes, she tells me "Worship in the bedroom". The only heaven I'll be sent to is when I'm alone with you." ~ Hozier

The Doctor

I made sure my mom was comfortable and allowed the paramedics to check her over before I left the room. I hurried along the hallway to the team gathered in the reception.

"What's going on?" I asked as I approached, realising that Melanie, JJ and Rossi weren't with us.

"Kate Callaghan didn't do this." Aaron explained with a clenched jaw. 

"What?" I demanded in confusion. 

"Garcia's just spoken with her and she's at home with her family back in DC. I've spoken with her head of department who confirmed she was at work during the times of the abductions and the phone-call with your mother. Garcia's got ahold of the CCTV to confirm this too. Kate Callaghan didn't do this."

His words hung in the air and we all stared at each other in confusion.

"But... my mom... she said... Kate Callaghan."

"That's because the Unsub wanted us to think that," Morgan said, running his hand over his jaw worriedly. "The Unsub left Mel a note and sighed it from Kate." He trusted a letter in an evidence bag towards me and I accepted it, reading over the poorly rhyming words with  grimace.

"Kate?" I echoed. "Who could have done this?"

"We don't know," Prentiss said, shaking her head sadly. "But it's clear that Melanie's got some talking to do." I followed her eye-line to see her guiding Daisy and Ben into one of the SUV's with tear-stained cheeks and sighed.

What the hell was going on?

The Daughter

It took a few hours, but eventually, all of the kids were cleared to go and we were all piled in on the jet. I knew there were some serious conversations to be had once we were home, and I knew that as I sat watching Ben and Daisy sleep for the whole flight that I should probably sleep too, but I didn't have the courage too.

I'd come all this way to save them, the last thing I wanted to do was lose them to a few hours of shut-eye.

When we arrived back in the unit, there were so many screams and cries of joy and happiness as all of the families were reunited. Morgan had taken Anthony back to Chicago on a commercial flight, so the pair were absent from the big reunion and he was expected back tomorrow.

After Caitlyn and Kieran had held and kissed me a thousand times, I eventually managed to send them off and turn to the rest of the team. 

"Are we doing this now, or later?" I asked, turning on my dad as he spoke to Beth in a low voice.

"Mel..." He said in an apprehensive tone.

"I know what you're going to ask," I said, the rest of the conversations falling silent around us. "I know that everyone is enraged with me, but..." Is shrugged. "I don't know any Kates... And I don't know what to tell you. Spencer's mum said Kate Callaghan, and the only other Kate I know is my mum," I laughed. "And that's impossible. So," I shrugged again and shook my head. "I don't know what more you want from me."

"Mel... we don't want anything from you," Dave said softly. "But we will need to do some digging, to try to find this son-of-a-bitch."

"Yes," I agreed frantically. "Please... Because I really don't know what's going on."