18. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday

"Never give up on someone with a mental illness. When "I" is replaced by "We", illness becomes wellness." ~ Shannon L. Alder

The Daughter

I got off the plane the following day with a stomach full of butterflies. I was so excited to see Spencer; but in the same moment I was nervous.

I was meeting his mum today and I didn't want to disappoint in any way.

Spencer was an incredibly talented young man; like he had been his whole life.

Who was I? A girl covered in tattoos with dyed hair and a troublesome past who just-so-happened to be the daughter of the leader of the BAU?

I didn't want to disappoint Diana by not living up to the expectations she may have for her son's partner, but I also didn't want to disappoint Spencer by not living up to the expectations he may have for me in situations like these.

Truth was; I had absolutely no experience when it came to things like this.

I was only good with catching and interrogating the bad guys or comforting the families.

I wasn't good with meeting new people and trying to get them to like me. Especially if I had to impress those people.

I pushed through passport control and nervously walked to baggage claim where I only had to wait a few moments before I spied my case on the conveyor belt.

I pushed through the crowd and yanked my case off the belt, pulling it along behind me as I made my way to the main concourse where Spencer and I had agreed to meet.

He claimed he didn't like the idea of me travelling around a place I'd never been before; and I wasn't one for objecting when it came to Spencer.

I cast my eyes over the crowd of people waiting for their loved ones, and spotted Spencer wrapped up in his black duffle and purple scarf, towering above the heads.

I grinned and waved at him excitedly, my smile completely uncontrollable as a grin splashed across his face and he pushed through the people, making his way towards me.

"Spence!" I grinned, throwing my arms around him as we approached each other.

"Melly," He sighed into my hair, hugging me tightly. "Safe flight?" He asked. I nodded my head and pulled back from him with a smile,

"Merry Christmas." I pushed my lips against his briefly, pulling back a second later to find him grinning like a maniac down to me.

"Merry Christmas," He echoed. "I'm so glad you're here." He said, taking my case and my hand and leading me for the exit.

"Me too," I admitted. "I won't lie," I explained. "But I'm kinda nervous." Spencer sniggered and nodded his head.

"Me too." He said.
"Really?" I asked, looking up at him as we left the airport.

"Yeah," He said quietly. "I mean, this is my hometown," He shrugged, gesturing to the massive car park we now stood in. "I mean is it going to live up to your expectations?" He mumbled, chewing his lip.

I arched an eyebrow and positioned myself directly in front of him, craning my neck back to look up at his face properly.

"Spence," I said, covering his cheek with my gloved hand. "It already lives up to all of my expectations and more because you're here." I said and a grin melted the frown lines from his face, his entire expression lightening into one of miraculous beauty.

I stretched up on my toes and pressed my lips to his, planning on pulling back from the brief peck.

But before I could he pushed his hand to the small of my back, making me stumble closer to him, cramming our chests together.