40. Arrivederci

"When the lights are faded to black, only stars are guiding me back, I'll keep running to the place I belong. When you think you're on your own, I'm still coming home." ~ James Bay

"I can't thank you enough for this Rossi. Really." I smiled broadly.

"There's no need to thank me, Mel. I'm so pleased that I could do this for you." He told me with an emotional smile.

"I know it means a lot to my dad too... To have us all here like this."

"Well it's your last night in Virginia. It's best to go out with a bang huh?" I laughed and nodded my head.

"That is true..." I grinned, chewing on my lip thoughtfully as I pondered how to ask the question on the tip of my tongue.

"I asked him this morning, as did JJ and Morgan, but I don't think he's gonna show kid. I'm sorry. We did the best we could." Rossi guessed what I was going to say, keeping me from embarrassing myself by asking.

"Of course," I nodded with a sad and disappointed smile. "Thank you for trying Rossi. I knew it was a long shot anyway." I shrugged and he sighed sadly, nodding his head before hurrying off to help the caterers.

I peered out across the back garden; seeing my best friends, team and family, all of them together smiling and laughing happily in their formal clothes.

We'd had some pretty fantastic times together, memories I was going to keep and treasure for many many years.

We'd had some pretty amazing times here too, in Rossi's back garden.

It hit me then, as I watched them altogether, that I really was going to miss my family.

"Melanie," My dad said, approaching me from the French doors. "Caitlyn's just arrived," He said worriedly and I grinned. I hadn't seen Caitlyn in so long.

"Excellent." I said excitedly, setting my glass down on the table.

"No Mel, she has the baby with her." I nodded my head, I'd told her to bring whoever she liked, including the kids. "Are you sure you're ready for this?" He asked and I nodded my head with a small smile.

"I promised I'd be at the birth months ago, and I wasn't. I need to be there now." My dad shook his head.

"You don't have to be there for anything. You shouldn't feel guilty about missing the birth." I nodded my head.

"I know but she's my best friend. I can't ignore her child forever just because I lost mine on the same day." My dad sighed and smiled, squeezing my hand tightly before nodding over to the conservatory where Prentiss and Beth were leading Caitlyn out into the back garden with Ben and Daisy.

"Melanie!" The kids cheered, hurrying over to me excitedly. "We missed you!" Daisy said sadly as I leaned down to hug them both.

"I know I missed you too. I'm sorry it's been so long." I apologised.

"I'm sorry you've been sad." Ben said lovingly and I had to work hard to swallow the lump in my throat. Instead of saying anything I leaned down and kissed the top of his head emotionally; sometimes actions spoke louder than words.

I straightened up just as Caitlyn was approaching me baby-less. I knew she'd had a son named Thomas, but apart from that, I'd never seen so much as a picture.

"Caitlyn," I grinned as we hugged each other. "I'm so sorry I wasn't there." I apologised and she pulled back with an angry expression.

"Don't you dare say that," She snapped and I cast my eyes down to my feet as she held onto my upper-arms tightly. "I'm the one who should've been there for you, I'm so sorry Melanie. For everything. I didn't know what to do or how to help you after everything... I'm..." She shook her head with tearful eyes. "I'm so sorry." I leaned forward and hugged her tightly again, knowing that I'd love Caitlyn like a sister no matter what.