✰A sPrInKlE oF EnVy ✰

Sid

I stood between both our beds, observing Shehnaaz irately.

She was lying still on her side, her hair strewn over the pillow and her hands across her chest. 

Did she think I was stupid? We'd been sharing a bed since the third week in the house and she could at least give me the credit for knowing what she looks like when she is asleep. 

I could just tell by the way she was breathing that this was an act. I purposely toppled over her body lotion from the nightstand and her fingers jerked and then she became still again.

Yup.Definitely not sleeping.

I was a little annoyed now. I had half a mind to haul her away from the mattress and dump her on mine, almost forgetting that I was on national television. I just wanted to sleep tonight. It had been a week of insomnia for me.

She could just climb onto this bed right now and I won't have any qualms. We could be normal again. But no, she has to get on my nerves.

Just then, Mahira walked into the room, eyeing me peculiarly.

I ignored her and massaged my forehead. The last of the housemates were inside the bedroom and the curtains slid down the glass doors, enveloping the place in inky blackness. 

I glanced behind me to make sure, lights out were usually around midnight, twelve-thirty, I could say by the position of the moon- which meant that it was the 27th now. 

Shehnaaz's birthday.

While my attention had diverted, Shehnaaz squinted one eye open and then stole a glance at me towering right above her and squeezed her eyes shut just as quickly as if I wouldn't notice. I stiffened.

This girl...

The temperature of the room must've frozen at the arctic look I sent her way.

She scooted over, still in the pretence of being asleep and turned over and wrapped her arms over her companion.

Rashami's arms went around her on autopilot and stroked her back comfortingly as if she were her own daughter.

Aw, how sentimental! 

Rashami was very much awake, I could sense her smirk in the dark as she kept stroking Shehnaaz's hair knowing it was getting on my nerves.

"Shehnaaz?" The meethi churi spoke, her voice more than enough to sweeten fifty cups of Chai.

"Hmm?" Shehnaaz perked up.

"Happy birthday my jaan," she half-whispered.

I ignored the fact that she had struck the right chord. Rashami as always knew how to get me all riled up. Instead of giving in to my instinct of wrapping my hands around her throat, I whipped my bed covers back and flung my legs into it hastily.

Isse zyaada dimaag sadane ka khvaahish nahi hai.

I mentally noted that I had to keep my baby as far as possible from these leeches once we were out of this house. This time Rashami had happily stolen away my first greeting for her birthday.

Which of course, will never happen again.

I faced away from this sentimental embrace of Rashami and Sana and tried to even my breathing and just fall asleep. I tugged a pillow in between my legs and one to snuggle with.

The chamber was absolutely silent, except for scattered light snores from a few housemates. My ears picked up at the sound of scuffling of blankets and I keenly observed the reflection on the glass mirror hopefully.

I half-turned, hoping to see the familiar figure behind me on my bed. 

But I simply noticed Mahira sneaking into Paras' bed and Paras enveloped both of them in his blanket. Then I heard a few giggles and some movement under the blankets as I closed my eyes.

I hoped for Mahira's sake that none of this went on air. Judging by Paras' attitude, I don't think anything affected him for long. I realised that when he blatantly labelled Aksh as a psychotic girlfriend. I had dated Akansha for a brief period during my stint in HSKD and she'd never invaded my personal space per se. Paras was seriously playing a dangerous game with the girls. 

Since I'd been restless that night as well, tossing and turning in my bed, I didn't get much downtime again. The suddenness of the loud music in the morning made me jerk to my senses, making my temples throb in irritation. I closed my eyes again, hoping to get a five-minute extension for a nap when I heard Asim's voice in close vicinity.

"Yo, Sana utho yaar, happy birthday!"

"Happy birthday Shehnaaz!" Vishal cooed and my eyes popped open, catching Asim and Vishal tickling Sana and I rolled my eyes. This was not how I wanted to start my day.

I ignored them and turned over, snapping my eyes shut.

Vishal laughed and I passively regarded a giggling Shehnaaz racing in the living room with a fluttering dupatta overhead and my eyelids closed again when she disappeared from view. 

It was probably an hour later when Biggboss decided to wake me up by the mechanical cooing of the rooster. It kept playing until I was out of my bed.

Today wasn't apparently a lazy day as I assumed. We had Connections coming in to support us apparently. That explained why everyone was so well-groomed. I didn't give a damn. I was going to take a quick shower only in the evening. Screw the connections if they wanted me to go dapper just for this.

Once I'd brushed my teeth and gurgled some mouthwash in the basin, I noticed Paras behind me, enveloping Sana in a hug. Granted, she didn't hug him back but she didn't push him away either.

"Happy birthday," he said and her 'thank you' was more clipped and curt. 

She locked eyes with mine in the mirror and we both knew what she was expecting.

But you'll get my first greeting or none at all.

Ignoring her, I pushed past Paras into the living room. 

The sofa was occupied with all of the housemates eagerly waiting for the blank monitor to light up. I made my way to the sofa as Arti scooted over for me to join them. The screen lit up and recognition set in.

Devoleena, the #Metoo queen; giggling at the screen as if she were a 5 y.o on a bouncy castle. After a few pleasantries, she voted Shehnaaz as the interim captain taking everyone by surprise. 

 I chuckled as the rest hooted and Rashami clasped her hands over her face in joy, rushing towards the confession room and enveloping her in a hug. I followed behind, pulling her into a light side-hug making sure that I wasn't hurting her vertebrae.

I wasn't really in a mood to interact but I noticed person by person filing in, and the house was lighting up with more light laughter and chatter.

Toyboy even got his one true love, Himanshi Khuraana.

Thank goodness.

Himanshi was the most curious specimen among the lot, she was behaving like another person and was being extremely nice to all of us, especially Shehnaaz.

I wondered if Sana's fans had trolled her so much that she'd gone for a temporary personality revamp.

I reached out and shook her hand, and she offered me a small smile.

"Bohot accha kar rahe ho aap..."

"Accha? Thank you."

She hesitated and then added in an audible whisper, "Please don't hurt Sana. She loves you."

I stilled even as Asim pulled her away from our conversation and shoved my hands into my pockets, watching the lovebirds walk into the lawn hand-in-hand.

"Kya boli bhai?" Paras asked, popping a chip into his mouth.

"Kuch khaas nahi."