✰FuTiLe AtTeMpTs✰

Sid

I was a little glum but I didn't let it show.Ma was staying away for a week or so with relatives.

I spoke irately on the phone when my mouth forgot how to form sentences for a moment.Shehnaz was standing at the door with a bag in her hand.Devoid of makeup in a mustard floral jumpsuit.

I had noticed the slight frown on her face but I let it slide, maybe she had a long day too.

I never thought she would know what she said.She said it with so much confidence that I was in love with her.I didn't have the heart to deny and defer from the claims.Maybe she had the right to know.She needs to understand how complex stuff is.

I stopped dating 6 years ago.I had a fling or two in the between but even that became routine-ish and predictable. Yes, I almost got any girl I wanted but I stopped appreciating it.

I fell in love once with a woman with bright grey eyes, and she was only trying to get away from me.I realised that much later that I was putting one-sided efforts and I let her go.
My work became my full-time commitment...I otherwise spent time with my family.I was a simple man with a simple lifestyle.

Until I met this girl who was so out-of-syllabus that I had no idea what to do with her.
I could woo Shehnaz, I would charm her and make her mine, but she wasn't any of those other girls.One glance at her wide innocent eyes could convince me that I didn't deserve her.

We were at Neetu's and she was laughing and running around while my brother-in-law and sisters were thoroughly amusing themselves.

The phone in my back pocket buzzed breaking me from my reverie and I pulled it out.My eyes furrowed at the post Ken sent me with a laughing emoji.I was piqued and slid my thumb over it.It was my own picture in a football jersey that I had approved for uploading a few days back.

Then I read what was underneath:

I was scandalised to say the least

I was scandalised to say the least.I felt a blush creep up my neck as I looked at it again. She spelt moon wrong.

It had already garnered so many likes and replies.

I looked back accusingly at the energetic figure in the living room.I stood at the edge of the balcony window, the same place I'd resorted to a few days back when we weren't talking to each other.

I waited patiently for a slight distraction in the conversation and crooked a finger at Shehnaz when she looked at me.

She skipped over to me, still in a sunny mood, "Yes, baby?"

I turned my screen to her, "Yeh kya tha?"

She giggled, "Compliment."

"Why did you put it out here?"

"Matlab?" She asked, widening her eyes and hovering under me.

"Matlab, mey hamesha tere saath hi hoon.Tu mereko aake bolti...Waise comments mey likhne ki kya zaroorat hai?"