✰sMaLl tAlK✰

I was staring into the distance and I realised that if I squint, I could imagine this lawn was a khet in Chandigarh and I was back in Punjab, doing my routine song shoots.

I hardly noticed that Sidharth had occupied the couch next to mine with his cup of chai.

"Mey yaha bhaith sakta hoon, teri doston ki saath hogaya toh aaj ke liye?"

I glared at him chidingly, "Bakwas mat kar, bhaith."

For another minute I was silent and I realized that this was the longest time I had managed to keep my mouth shut. When Sidharth was with me, he never called me a blabbermouth like the others. He actually listened and asked questions and made it seem like I mattered.

When was the last time I mattered?

Definitely not when I was in my aunt's house. Her interaction with me was limited to dishing out instructions for chores. She secretly thought I was a burden.Then came this magnificent boarding school in Himachal, nothing like I had never seen before. I thought I'd find people who cared but no one actually did. I used to pass by a hairline in chemistry and maths and girls used to remark how stupid and gullible I was, always resorting to prank me for the fun of it.

My emotional cascade took a toll on my studies obviously and the downside was definitely not avoidable. I even tried dating a guy because I wanted to feel that I mattered but it did the exact opposite.

Only after that-haye haye, the theatre club, the culturals, the singing, dancing and modelling; I threw my heart and soul into it hoping it would take me somewhere.

And it did.

The tall man in the black blazer had looked right into my eyes while offering his hand for me to clasp, "Hey, Shehnaz right? The model, the singer...Multitalented, kya baat hai!"

I had the slight reminiscence of his familiar sculpted features on television but neither of his popular show names struck my mind as I reached out to clasp his large hands, giggling a little turning him amused.

"Haan, Shehnaz." I had paused for a moment in thoughtful silence,rubbing my chin, "Aapko kahi dekha hai tv pe, aap famous ho shayad."

He chuckled in response, "Sidharth Shukla."

Our palms came in contact with each other as we shook hands briefly as new acquaintances do. He didnt speak much after that the entire evening despite everyone else roaming around excitedly and I assumed that he was one of those intellectual introverts whom I couldn't befriend.

Atleast that's what I assumed...

"Kya soch rahi ho?" my companion asked after a moment of silence and I turned to gaze at him. He never asked anything for the sake of it, he really did seem concerned.

"Baaz chala gaya," I mumbled, pouting and his eyes flickered to my lips before it melted.

He ruffled my hair, "Toh kya hua? Tu bhi jayegi na ek hafte ke baad. Ya yahi pe thekha liya hai?"

I gazed at his genuine smile for a moment more only to realise fully how much weight he'd lost. His mustard trousers hung loosely around his waist just as his shirt was not cording around his torso as it usually did.

I shouldn't be thinking about just myself now, I'd witnessed how much his mother meant to him during family week.

I brought my hands up into his hair, massaging his scalp and he relaxed, leaning backwards.

"Aur tujhe?"

"Mujhe kya?"

"Tujhe yaad nahi aata koi bhi ghar se? Koi connection bankar aata toh maja aajata..."

"Koi nahi aayega, Neetu ko bohot kaam hai aur meri ma ko yeh sab pasand nahi hai itna."

"Tu bohot miss karta hoga na, apne family ko... Kyunki hum sab ke liye koi na koi aaya tha.."

Sidharth raised his head at my empathic tone, he was so close I could feel his breath grazing my neck.

"Kyu? Tu meri family nahi hai?"

I blushed, even though there were most probably no implications to what he'd said. Even he noticed my cheeks turning rosy and his expression flickered.

"Shehnaz,I--"

He was probably going to say something so brash and plain about what a good friend I was and I really didn't need to hear it. So I immediately attempted to divert his attention.

"Tujhe pata, mujhe abhi se hi kaam mil gayi," I blurted, slapping his thigh.

He shifted in his seat, probably realising how close we were, "Matlab?"

"Bigg boss ne mujhe bulaya na aaj nashta ke baad?"

"Haa, Maine pucha bhi konsi baat hai."

"Haan...Mujhe ek show ke liye offer aaya tha, colors tv par.Secret hai," I whispered into his ears.

His eyes brightened, "Wow, sachi? Congrats ya moti! Lekin tune bola tujhe serial nahi karni?"

"Yeh serial nahi hai!" I amended and proudly began to explain the format that BB had narrated to me.

I really didn't recollect it, something about ten girls and ten boys from whom we would have to choose from...It must've been a game show like this one which would be fun because I like meeting new people.Even though I was slightly reluctant about the instant signing without second thought, I thought it was the right thing to do.

Who knows if I will get work later or not? People now thought I was cute but even puppies are cute. Do puppies get signed as heroines in the film business?

Definitely not.

So might be the case for me,I needed to survive in Mumbai and what better way then to sign up with the same channel that made me viral overnight?

Sidharth was massaging my toes which I'd tossed onto his lap when I began to recount the details of the show but somewhere in between, he's stopped and I hadn't noticed.

"Yeh kya hai?" He boomed loudly, startling me and Arti who had just collected her laundry from the storage and was going past us.

"Matlab?"

"Tera dimaag kharab hai? Koi aise hi show sign karta hai kya?Bina soche?"

"Bina soche nahi, unhone bola ke mujhe ussi waqt sign karna hai, Maine nahi--"

"Koi bolega toh tu kuch bhi karegi? Sahi hai."

"Nahi Sidharth! Tu pehle bol tujhe kya accha nahi laga change karwati hoon meri manager se bol ke..."

"Abhi kuch nahi kar sakti tu, sign kar liya na tune bina soche, gadhi!"

"Toh chod de na..."

"You know what?" He pried his hands away that were entwined with mine, "You do what you want. I'm going to sleep."

He marched past me into the bedroom.

"Siiidhaaarth," I whined petulantly, scampering to catch up with him.

He noticed me perched at the edge of the bed and turned away from me. I instantly went over to the other side, observing his grim expression and his nostrils flaring.

I wordlessly lay down next to him and he sighed heavily, wanting to move again but I slithered into his arms like an earthworm, resting my head on his chest. He was adamant not to put his arms around me so I snuggled further into his warmth.

Despite how cold the chamber was, Sidharth was always warm, even the coldest of nights didn't even make him flinch.

We were silent for a few minutes, it was warm and comfortable but I still ventured on into my last attempt, "Tu gussa kyu hai?"

"Agar tujhe aise das laundo shaadi karne ke liye aayenge toh kya mey--You know what, leave it. Kal baat karenge okay?"

"Haye haye, aisa hai show ka format!" I muttered, surprised, "Ohh, accha.Mujhe laga sirf masti karenge hum log udhar ya aisa kuch."

Sidharth rolled his eyes in response.