s i x

"You know the deal, it's your freedom to take or leave it," Zayn spits out after interrogating the suspect they caught the day before. 

"You're stupid, you're all stupid. You don't fucking know what The Jets are capable of! Even if I take your scum deal once I open my mouth I'm death. The fact that you're investigating this means you're on their list, you and your families," The old man spits back. 

Louis breathes in shakily from behind the glass, even though he knows these threats are probably him bluffing, he would not sleep if he knew Lucas could be in danger. 

"You know we have enough evidence to lock you for life." 

"I do and I don't care," the man grunts again. 

He really isn't going to budge, he's told them at least ten times how he wouldn't even survive in prison if he gave any information. Louis blinks his eyes a few times and rubs his face, one of the biggest suspects is a dead end. 

If this whole case is going to be this aggravating he's going to need more sleep and painkillers for his headaches. 

"I think we should report back to Styles, he isn't going to budge," Zayn comes into the room with a discouraging look. 

"I know, if every suspect is going to be like this, we'll be in trouble. Maybe we should start looking for indirect suspects. More witnesses, like girlfriends, far family, etc," Louis suggests. 

"Yeah, I was thinking about that too. Actual members are way too loyal to The Jets." 

Louis hums and makes his way to their chiefs office. 

⚡︎

"So you got nothing, basically?" 

"Nope," Zayn sighs. 

"The only thing we know is that they're very loyal and The Jets are basically everywhere. He told us even if he would speak and go to prison he would be killed in a matter of hours," Louis adds. 

"Fuck," Harry travels a hand through his curls, "That only makes me wonder if they might have insiders here in the police too." 

Louis' eyes widen, "You think that's a possibility?" 

"Yes, why are you so shocked? It's not the first time the drug mob would have insiders."

"Because he made it very clear that everyone who worked on the case is in danger from the moment they find out," Louis trails. 

"Are you going to wimp out of this case, Tomlinson?" 

"No Chief," Louis answers quickly. 

Zayn rolls his eyes at Harry's insensitivity, "If he would step out of this case, he wouldn't wimp out. If someone doesn't want to be part of such a dangerous investigation it's their decision." 

"Are you saying you want to step out, Malik?" 

"No, that's not at all-" 

"Good, because you two are the best detectives at my precinct, I don't need you doubting over this because this is important, yeah?" Harry raises his voice a bit. 

Zayn and Louis stay quiet for a moment, trying to process everything. 

"Understood?" 

"Yes, Chief," Louis nods firmly while Zayn nods too. 

"If you want extra security when you notice something's off, we'll fix that. We won't be defeated by them by some hollow threats." 

"I hope they're hollow, because he sounded very serious. Should we start screening everyone before they're taking part of the case?" Zayn asks.