s e v e n

The case hasn't evolve much since they caught their first suspect, they are slowly finding new witnesses and listing them up to interrogate. 

Right now Zayn and Louis are slumped in their chairs both frustrated by the lack of evidence and information they're receiving. 

"What are you doing, sit up and work!" Harry yells while walking by their desks. 

"Why are you so stressed?" Zayn asks with a frown while sitting up and gathering his files to start over in case he missed something. 

Harry stops pacing for a moment, "Because the commander is coming and we're dealing with one of the biggest files, don't mess this up, both of you!" 

"Oh fuck," Zayn mutters and starts to clean up his desk, Louis does the same, knowing how stressful days like these are for Chiefs, for everyone, really. 

"Hello Commander Page, welcome to our precinct," Harry greets the man once the elevator opens.  

They do this once a year and Harry never knows until 5 minutes in advance, it's to make sure the precincts can't prepare and act like they are doing great when they're not. 

"Good afternoon, Chief Styles." The uptight man greets without looking the chief in the eyes. 

He never does, it's a game of power for him, really. 

"I'm mostly here for the drugs-case, to see if we didn't make a mistake assigning it to your precinct." 

Harry gulps subtle and leads the way towards the room they've been using for their evidence board and files. 

"Tomlinson, Malik, follow us." 

The detectives both nod and follow them silently, Louis still remembers the commander from his old precinct. The difference there was that his chief was old and friends with him. 

It's sickening to see how other chiefs stress about this day while his old one just sat together with him and drank some scotch like it was a friendly get-together. 

"Tell me about the last few leads in this case," the man spits towards the two detectives. 

Louis' hands start sweating while Zayn just starts talking and pointing out things on the board. He doesn't do well with these kind of authoritative people, so he's quite happy when his partner takes the lead. Eventually he starts adding and explaining things when he grew the balls to do so. 

Harry lets out a sigh when he does because he knows he wouldn't hear the end of it if his one detectives did all the talking and the other one would just stand there. 

"Very well, I'm quite disappointed to see how this case is at a slight dead end but I have trust in you, especially you, Tomlinson. You're from Chief Jones' precinct right?" 

"Yes, Commander," Louis stares at him in disbelief. 

"My expectations are high for you." 

Louis squirms under his gaze and nods quickly, "Thank you, Commander." 

Zayn frowns while Harry does his best to not have a facial expression. 

Once they left the room Louis turns to Zayn instantly, "I'm so sorry, Zayn. I swear it's just because he's friends with Jo-" 

"Lou, it's okay. I'm not mad," Zayn chuckles, "You are a great detective, even if he said it for that reason you would deserve that compliment. You really think I'd be jealous?" 

"I- I mean no, but it's just stupid to have him praise me while you did a great job too an even better one than me," Louis mutters. 

"We did just as good of a job, yeah? We're a team, remember?"