f o u r t e e n

Harry tried and tried and tried and tried. And he succeeded, he hasn't give in to the building tension yet. It's been almost a week and he hasn't even batch an eye towards Louis. 

Until, of course, he's late on Thursday and Harry woke up on the wrong side of the bed. 

"You're late! Again!" Harry raises his voice once his detective enters the small room. He sees Louis face falling the moment the words leave his mouth. 

Zayn rolls his eyes, "Just 4 minutes." 

"Don't undermine me," Harry snaps at his friend. 

Zayn purses his lips to keep all the insults inside instead of lashing out like he'd usually do. 

Louis tightens his jaw and takes a deep but shakily breath, "I'm sorry, I did arrive in on time, I just had to use the loo, real quick." 

"You can't do that at home?" Harry scoffs.

"I left my house an hour ago to bring Luke to my friends and I didn't know I had to ask for your permission to pee," Louis narrows his eyes, challenging his chief. Zayn raises an eyebrow and smirks. 

At this point Harry knows Louis is right and he shouldn't have reacted like that but he's losing control over him. He feels it slipping through his fingers and it's so damn aggravating for him. 

Harry tightens his grip on the chair and throws him a dirty look, nostrils flaring with anger and frustration. No one here dares to talk back to him like that and he has to admit, it makes him want Louis even more. 

Stupid dysfunctional brains. 

Louis sits down without sparing another glance at his chief and starts working, mostly running things by Zayn. 

That goes on until the end of the day, Louis ignoring Harry's full existence until the chief actually regrets the way he spoke to his detective this morning.

He feels bad, he's always been a friendly and kind person until he started this job. 

Mostly because in his first few years no one took him serious because first of all he's young and second of all he's gay. Once that got out a lot of his male detectives turned towards him, it got so bad he moved from Holmes chapels, his hometown, to London. 

With enough luck he got placed in a department with a lot of openminded people. And if they weren't, they respected him anyways because he's been this strict since day one. 

He got really lucky when he got to know Zayn a bit better outside of work and could let his walls down. Zayn knows Harry is actually a kindhearted man, but he also gets why he can't let go of his authoritative facade at work. 

He understands why he's always on his guard when it comes to his sexuality and when colleagues  find out. He tries not to prejudge people but it's hard after everything he's heard and been through. 

It's different with Louis though, he's losing control in a totally different way than he normally does. 

He's regretting his behavior so much he actually developed a headache. 

"Lou, are you joining us again, tomorrow? At the bar?" Zayn asks while cleaning up their daily mess. 

"No, I'm not. Can't ask Liam and Niall to babysit every week, that's not fair," He smiles softly. 

Zayn nods, "I get that, you're always welcome if you change your mind!" 

"I'm think I'm not going either," Harry speaks up while massaging his temples.