t h i r t e e n

It's like they were building a routine, first they kiss, then they avoid each other until one of them decides to start talking and after that the tension grows again. 

Now they're in the second stage, they kissed yesterday and they're back to avoiding each other to the point of ridicule. 

Zayn notices, he really does, but he chooses not to ask again, Louis got very defensive last time and Harry just beats around the bush until Zayn gives up. 

They've been both antsy too, because the tension will return, it's almost inevitable. Harry has never experienced the kind of tension and neither has Louis. They don't know anything about handling such thing and it shows. 

Harry has been seriously questioning his own existence since he's lost control over Louis. He's never lost control over anything. 

That's his thing, having control over situations and most important, having control over himself. The main reason the job is a perfect fit is because he's in control of something bigger. 

Louis on the other hand, fears a lot of things. He fears that someone will find out and he'll lose his job. But he also fears falling for Harry, it was never his intention to kiss the man. Sure he's handsome but he has been everything but friendly to Louis in the past 2 months. 

He can't fall for a person solely for their physical appearance, right? That's awfully shallow. 

He just can't fall for him, he has to start setting boundaries and has to push Harry away the next time. He figures if he won't taste his lips anymore he will stop missing them eventually. 

Maybe it's weak to believe that but it's the only thing that makes sense right now. 

"Louis, why have you been so in your head lately, mate? You've been distracted all week," Niall points out at their usual Friday dinner. 

"I-" Louis sighs, "Something happened that shouldn't have happened." 

Both Niall and Liam sit up straighter at that while Louis checks on his toddler with a quick glance. Lucas is still happily watching Mickey Mouse on the tv. 

"What happened?" Liam asks concerned. 

"Niall, promise me to not be 'all Niall' about this," Louis pleads. 

Niall looks offended and covers his chest with his hand, "I don't know what that is, but sure." 

Liam scoffs, "Just be mature, it seems serious." 

Niall nods, "Yeah, I can see. I'll be serious, I promise." 

"Okay," Louis inhales deeply, "Harry kissed me last Friday at the bar."

Liam raises his eyebrows while Niall gapes at him.  

"Why did- How did that-" 

"We were both drunk, I guess," Louis closes his eyes, "Okay, maybe not that drunk." 

"I just- I was thanking him for saving my life and he told me that wasn't necessary. We were standing really close all of the sudden and he asked me if he could 'try something' so I asked 'what?'. And then he just kissed me," Louis says in one breath. 

"How was the kiss?" Niall asks, face dead serious. 

"Niall!" Both Louis and Liam scold. 

"No! I don't mean it like that, I meant how deep was it, was it just a peck or a full on french kiss? If it's a peck it isn't that bad, Lou. I'm sure you could just pretend it didn't happen afterwards," Niall reasons. 

"Well, that's the problem. It was just a simple but long peck, but ever since I haven't been able to stop thinking about him and his lips. And then he kissed me again yesterday! And that was certainly not just a peck," Louis rushes out, panicking. 

"Calm down, Lou. You're not going to lose your job over this, he kissed you, twice," Liam tries to soothe him. 

"Is it even illegal to kiss him? I mean, are there other chiefs who are in a relationship with a detective?" Niall asks. 

"I really don't know if this is something illegal, but I'm more worried over the fact that I'm not getting his stupid face out of my thoughts," Louis hits his forehead out of frustration. 

 "But I also don't want to lose my job if it is illegal, what do I do then? I have Lucas, for god's sake!" 

"He kissed you again, that means he can't get you out of his head either," Niall thinks out loud. 

"I don't know, Ni. He did say he takes full responsibility," Louis sighs and drops his head on the table. 

"So basically you're dealing with a lot of sexual tension between the two of you?" Liam asks. 

"Yeah but now we're back to avoiding each other, which doesn't make work any easier since we're on the same case." 

"Shit, Lou. Do you think something could come out of this, though?" 

"No, absolutely not. He's a dick," Louis lowers his voice, "I swear he's one of the most unbearable people to be around. All he does is yell and be rude to people. The only ones he's been friendly to is Zayn and Lucas. He's complimented me once in these 2 months about my work and it felt so uncomfortable to hear it out of his mouth," Louis rants. 

"Are you sure, he seemed very kind and gentle at the grocery store. And it's a miracle how he got Lucas to trust him that soon too," Liam adds. 

"I'm very sure and besides, he hates me more than anyone else on our floor. He's always ready to scold me and yells at me for the smallest things."

"Maybe he does that out of frustration 'cause he's drawn to you," Niall shrugs. 

"Niall, it's not a fucking romcom, it's real life. He hates me for real." 

"I think Niall might be right, who kisses someone they hate?" 

"A psychopath." 

"Louis!" Liam scolds. 

"I'm sorry, I'm just confused, yeah? And scared, I've never craved someone this much and it's coincidentally the person who can't stand me," Louis snaps. 

He knows he shouldn't have called Harry a psychopath and even though his chief didn't hear it he does feel kind of guilty since he's been enjoying kissing him just as much. 

"I understand, It'll be fine. Just try to stay away as much as possible and don't let it influence your work." 

Louis nods, "I'm really trying." 

"Papa, otay?" Lucas asks while waddling towards Louis. 

"Of course, baby. Is Mickey done playing?" Louis asks in a happy voice  while picking him up on his lap. 

"Yesh, want cuddwes now, pwease?" Lucas asks around his dummy. 

Louis cuddles him closer and kisses his head, "We'll go home soon, to put you in bed." 

Lucas just yawns and drops his head on his papa's shoulder. 

~

Hii! 

Small update and kinda a filler but i still hoped you liked it :) Next update will be a bit more eventful, I promise! x 

Leave a comment and vote if you liked it!! 

Stay safe and treat people with kindness! 💛