f o r t y s e v e n

Zayn laughs when he enters the investigation room, Louis right behind him.

"Well, shit," Louis chuckles. 

The room stays closed all the time which means it doesn't get cleaned by the people who clean their floor. 

"We drank a lot of champagne," Zayn grimaces when his foot gets a little stuck on the floor.

"That's an understatement, I hope we didn't spill anything on files." 

"I hope so too," Harry speaks from behind them. 

"I'll go get a rag," Louis mutters. 

Harry thanks him while Zayn and him start collecting bottles. 

"Did you get home safely Friday?" 

"Yeah, why?" 

Zayn snorts, "You were pissed drunk, mate."

Harry chuckles, "Went a bit too far, yeah." 

"So when were you going to tell me you and Louis are a thing?" 

Harry almost drops the bottle in his hand while looking up in shock, "What do you mean?" 

Zayn rolls his eyes, "I'm a detective, Harry. I might've been drunk but I'm not stupid."

Harry frowns but doesn't interrupt him. 

"The address Louis told me doesn't exist, Louis calls his 'mysterious friend' frog which is you, you haven't been going out for a while now and Louis has a new boyfriend." 

Harry opens his mouth to say something but nothing comes out. 

"It's not only that, it's also the way you look at each other and how you cared about him when he got shot. You're kind of obvious."

After Zayn sums everything up Louis walks in, looking between the two. Harry's still gaping at his best friend while Zayn's looking at him with arms crossed. 

"Am I interrupting something?" 

"No, I was just enlightening Harry about how I figured out he's your boyfriend," Zayn smirks. 

"I- uh," Louis swallows thickly looking at Harry. 

"I'm sorry we didn't tell you before," Harry says finally, giving in to the fact that his best friend knows.  

Zayn is surprised by that, he knows Harry is kindness himself outside of work but it's not like he has to apologize for keeping something private. 

"I get that you wanted to keep it private, it's okay," Zayn dismisses. 

"It's not that we don't trust you, we just figured the less who know the better," Louis adds.

"Is it like.. legal?" 

Harry nods, "Yeah but we have to go to HR to sign some papers and shit. Guess who's the superior." 

"Page?" 

Harry hums, "He's in charge of deciding if we're allowed to stay in the same precinct too." 

"Shit." 

"If he's a mole and he already knows we're together he can't prove it though. He'd blow his own cover," Louis points out. 

"Let's hope he's not that stupid," Zayn sighs, "So, how long have you guys been dating?" 

Louis looks at Harry pursing his lips, "Ever since I got shot, so about 2 and a half months now." 

Harry nods, dimples popping out when he smiles.