i | the dragon's call

"i defended your honor, and this is how you repay me? i can't believe you just threw a tomato at me."

[1.1 — The Dragon's Call]

Two young people, one girl and one boy, briskly walked down the worn path

Two young people, one girl and one boy, briskly walked down the worn path. They had been walking for days, but despite being tired, neither looked weary. There were far more important things running through their minds than how much their feet hurt or how heavy the bags were. For greatness was about to be thrust upon them, whether they knew how important they were or not.

The pair walked in silence for the most part, minus a few times where they made teasing comments to the other. But when their eyes finally landed on the tops of a grand castle in the distance, they couldn't contain their excitement.

"Oh, Merlin, look!" the girl exclaimed, slightly tugging on his elbow. She quickened her pace and he happily followed, letting her drag him along. "Isn't it just beautiful?"

Merlin grinned down at her. "You act as if you haven't seen a castle before, Lia."

Lia rolled her eyes playfully, which assured him that he hadn't hurt her feelings or brought up any bad memories. "Maybe so, but you've never seen one. Trust me, Ealdor may be beautiful, but I know Camelot will be just as. My father told me stories about how great the kingdom is. And it'll be far more interesting than Ealdor."

"Well, then we'd better hurry up," he told her.

They got closer and closer to the large city, unable to hide the excited smiles present on their faces. Occasionally they passed others who were leaving the city, and the pair would nod politely at them. Once they reached the large gates, Lia couldn't help but stop and take it all in. And then Merlin was pulling her along through the bustling crowds.

As they grew nearer to the castle, they could hear horns sounding and the pounding of drums. A small crowd was gathering, which piqued Lia's interest.

"Perhaps it's some kind of celebration," she wondered.

They both made their way through the crowd, trying to get a better look. Merlin took Lia's hand in his to make sure she wasn't lost — he wasn't used to so many people in one place. Unfortunately, when they found a spot to see what was happening, they weren't met with a celebration. Two guards had escorted a man upon a platform, where an executioner stood.

"Let this serve as a lesson to all." Lia's gaze landed on an older man who was standing on a balcony overlooking the square. Based on his crown alone, she knew he was King Uther. "This man, Thomas James Collins, is adjudged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic. And, pursuant to the laws of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practices are banned on penalty of death. I pride myself as a fair and just king, but for the crime of sorcery, there is but one sentence I can pass."