v | beauty and the beast pt. i

| she's a shorter chapter, and a bit boring, but part two is lengthy with some nice angsty content |

"you know, if i didn't know any better, i'd say uther has a crush on lady catrina."

[2.5 — Beauty and the Beast pt. 1]

Given the large number of errands that Gaius and Lia had to run, they decided to borrow Merlin for the afternoon

Given the large number of errands that Gaius and Lia had to run, they decided to borrow Merlin for the afternoon. On top of their regular deliveries and work, they had to restock a large number of their supplies. That led to the three of them wandering through the lower town, Merlin trailing behind with his arms full of supplies and pots tied on a rope hanging around his neck.

"Keep up, Merlin. We've got a busy day ahead," Gaius called to him.

Merlin grumbled under his breath and eyed the basket of herbs that Lia was holding, which looked rather light to carry. It astounded him how Lia would drop anything and everything to go out of her way to help others except when it came to him — the things she did to get on his nerves. "It's a busy day every day. You and Arthur, you work me to the bone."

"Do stop moaning. At least the work's interesting," Gaius told him.

"Gaius, we're collecting pots," Merlin said, swinging some of the pots around his neck. "We do the same thing each and every Thursday at exactly the same time and nothing interesting ever happens—"

Merlin was cut off by a man suddenly grabbing his arm. Lia hovered behind him to make sure that the stranger had no ill intent. There was a hooded figure standing near, but they kept their face to the ground.

"Please, we seek Uther Pendragon. Where can he be found?" the man asked.

"I—"

Again, Merlin was cut off. The man shoved a large object into Merlin's hand. "We have urgent business with the King."

Gaius finally stepped in so that Merlin wouldn't have to deal with the odd man. "I'm sorry, any business you have with the King will have to be pursued through the usual channels." Then Gaius grabbed the object out of Merlin's hand. When he turned it over, both he and Lia recognized it as a seal — a royal seal. "But this is the seal of the House of Tregor. Where did you get this?" he asked, eying the man suspiciously.

"It does not belong to me," the man said, before turning to his companion.

"It belongs to me."

The companion pulled back their hood to reveal a very beautiful woman — one which Lia and Gaius immediately recognized. Lia hadn't acted as a royal in years, but she knew the face of Catrina Tregor. Gaius was dazed for a moment before he bowed lowly, and Lia curtsied.

"My Lady," Gaius said. Merlin seemed to not have noticed the way that Lia and Gaius were bowing respectfully, and instead stared a bit transfixed at Catrina. Lia lightly nudged him to get his attention.