vii | the castle of fyrien

"ugh. do not flirt with her, elyan!"

[3.7 — The Castle of Fyrien]

Gwen walked tiredly from the castle to her home, happy to be done with work for the day

Gwen walked tiredly from the castle to her home, happy to be done with work for the day. She was looking forward to a good night of sleep. The streets were abandoned with how late it was, and Gwen walked quickly, not wanting to linger in the dark.

Once inside her home, she removed her cloak and was startled when a sinister-looking man stepped out of hiding. He had been waiting for her. Gwen slowly backed away, eventually reaching her sword, which was leaning close to the door. She held it out and glared at the man.

"What do you want?" she asked.

The man stepped closer, and Gwen swung her sword at him. However, another intruder had snuck up behind her and grabbed her, placing a drugged cloth over her face, muffling her screams. Gwen breathed in the fumes and passed out in his arms. The two men smuggled out of Camelot unseen by all but Morgana, who was watching from her window with a pleased smirk on her face.

| | |

"Rise and shine!" Merlin said loudly as he threw the curtains open, letting the sunlight filter in.

Arthur groaned as he woke up, squinting from the light. "Can't you think of anything new to say?"

"What?"

"Every morning it is the same thing," he complained, staying in bed.

"Oh, I'm sorry. How about, "shake a leg?" Up and at 'em? Let's have you, lazy daisy?" Merlin suggested, grinning. Arthur was clearly unimpressed. "No, you don't like any of them, do you? You certainly wouldn't like how Lia wakes me up in the morning."

Arthur narrowed his eyes. "How does Lia wake you up? I'd guess throwing water over you or screaming in your ear."

"Ah, no. She kisses me on the cheek and then hums softly while making her bed. Quite a peaceful way to wake up," Merlin said, smirking.

He knew that Merlin was likely exaggerating but grumbled jealously nonetheless. Being woken up by a kiss from Lia was much preferable to Merlin's annoying habit. "I wish," he muttered, rolling over in bed.

"What was that?" Merlin asked teasingly. Arthur glared at him. "Okay, uh, I'm just gonna go before - before you decide to do something which—"

Merlin ducked just as Arthur chucked a goblet at his head. Arthur then shoved his head in his pillow, wishing he could get a few more minutes of sleep but knew he had to get up as he was supposed to eat breakfast with Uther and Morgana. The Prince was still exhausted by the time he reached the council chamber but did his best to look interested as his father spoke to him.

"The building works in the lower town have been delayed. I want you to ensure it doesn't happen again," Uther instructed.

"I'll see to it," he said as Morgana entered the room. She took her seat across from Arthur.