xii | the coming of arthur pt. i

"as i promised, lia, stay by my side and i shall protect you."

[3.12 — The Coming of Arthur pt. 1]

"This would look lovely in your hair, Clement

"This would look lovely in your hair, Clement."

"Oh, I couldn't, My Lady," the young servant said, shaking her head.

Lia smiled and looked back at the market stall. The two of them were walking through the Lower Town and currently at a booth that sold jewelry. The silver and emerald hairpin that Lia picked up had caught Clement's eye, which Lia easily picked up on.

"This one please," Lia told Emerie, the woman who made the piece. Once she paid her, Lia gifted the hairpin to Clement, whose cheeks were red from the present. In a family full of servants, nice things were difficult to come by. "It is my gift to you for being such a wonderfully attentive handmaiden."

And Lia truly thought she deserved it. Even if she did not ask much of the servant, the fourteen-year-old certainly worked hard and was always so happy and nice to be around. Clement let Lia pin back the sides of her auburn hair which framed her face well before they continued looking at the lovely pieces of jewelry.

"This would match your new pink gown wonderfully," Clement said, pointing to a necklace that was hanging near the back of the stall. "And it's your favorite flower."

Lia smiled and inspected the necklace closer. It was in the shape of a gold flower — a buttercup — and at the center was a dazzling pink gemstone. It certainly was very beautiful, but before Lia could even speak up about wanting it, another voice interrupted.

"I'll take it."

Lia spun to see that Arthur had walked up behind them in the market. Clement and Emerie quickly bowed to him, but he paid them no mind as he smiled down at Lia.

"Of course, Sire," Emerie said, fetching the necklace and giving it to Arthur, who had also overpaid for the piece.

He moved Lia's hair to the side and draped the necklace on her neck, the flower pendant falling right in the center of her collar bone. She couldn't help but blush as he fastened the clasp and then ran a hand down her shoulder and arm before taking her hand in his.

It was amazing how something so small as being allowed to hold hands in public brought such joy to the both of them.

"It's beautiful, My Prince," Lia said, grinning. "Thank you."

The young couple seemed to be in their own little bubble, paying no mind to those surrounding them. Emerie, who was grown with a husband and family of her own, had the sense to leave them be and pay attention to other customers. Clement, however, was only fourteen and in love with the idea of being loved by a handsome prince. She watched them, finding their actions incredibly romantic as they gazed at each other lovingly and made plans to meet for dinner once Arthur was finished with his patrol. She'd certainly be gossiping with all her friends later about the couple and how perfect she thought they were.