vi | the crystal cave

"what was that you said once about having hope and believing that tomorrow would be better?"

[3.6 — The Crystal Cave]

Illya sat with Illyria, pulling the newly turned nine-year-old's hair back in an intricate braid

Illya sat with Illyria, pulling the newly turned nine-year-old's hair back in an intricate braid. Illyria was wearing a beautiful pink gown that the King of Camelot, Uther Pendragon, had sent for her birthday. The party that was to be held in her honor was starting in a little over an hour, and Illyria had asked her mother for help getting ready instead of her maid, Eleanor.

"Have you had a good birthday so far?" Illya asked.

Illyria nodded, but then stopped as it caused her mother to tug on her hair. "Really great! Chef Melissa made pancakes shaped like flowers for me. And then Father took me to watch the knights train, and Sir Galavant let me sit on his shoulders when I got there. He's like twenty feet tall."

Illya chuckled, knowing the knight she spoke of was no taller than six and a half feet, but Illyria liked to feel tall. Illyria continued to chatter on about nice things that many people had done for her throughout the day, and listed off a number of presents she had received — and she was very excited to get more at her party.

"I am so glad you've enjoyed your special day," Illya said, kissing the top of her head as she finished the braid. "You'll be getting another gift from me and your father later, but here is a little something I saw in the markets the other day."

Illyria grinned when her mother held out a pretty silk ribbon in a light pink color — her favorite color. "It's so pretty!"

"And it matches the dress from King Uther," she said. "Let me put it in your hair."

She sat still while Illya tied the ribbon tightly in her hair, securing the braid. "There. You look perfect."

"I always look perfect," Lia said, holding her head higher and sitting straighter.

Illya chuckled and wrapped her arms around her. "You certainly are your father's daughter. Now, we have a very important party to get to. It'll be one you shall never forget."

| | |

Merlin and Arthur ran as fast as they could through the forest. A horde of bandits were chasing after them and gaining fast. They bolted down a hill and through a ravine before ducking behind some boulders to hide.

"Are they still after us?" Merlin asked, panting heavily as Arthur checked their surroundings.

Arthur smiled when he saw no sign of the bandits. "I told you we'd outrun them."

"You sure?"

"Why is it you never trust me, Merlin?" he asked, scoffing. A moment later, they heard yelling and turned to see the bandits running at them from the opposite direction. They set off running again, and Arthur frantically looked around for one path in particular. "Come on, this way."