viii | the sins of the father

"do you think that if the great purge had never happened that lórien would still be here? that my parents would still be alive?"

[2.8 — The Sins of the Father]

Everyone was gathered in the Hall of Ceremonies for the latest group of men who had passed Arthur's series of tests to become a Knight of Camelot

Everyone was gathered in the Hall of Ceremonies for the latest group of men who had passed Arthur's series of tests to become a Knight of Camelot. Uther stood over the five men who were kneeling as he recited their oath and knighted them with his sword.

"Arise Sir Vidor, Knight of Camelot. Arise Sir Caradoc, Knight of Camelot," he said, finishing up the process. They all got to their feet. "You have been accorded a great honor. But with that honor comes great responsibility. From this day forth, you are sworn to live by the knights' code. You have pledged to conduct yourselves with nobility, honor, and respect. Your word is your sacred bond. You will find no one who better embodies these values than my son, Arthur. Follow his example, and you will prove yourselves worthy of your title."

Before Uther could finish his speech and make everything official, they all heard a shout of pain from the corridor. The entire court looked to the door at the sound of swords clashing outside. Then a knight in a helmet entered the hall, clearly not from Camelot. Each of the new knights drew their swords along with Arthur — things hadn't gone well the last time a mysterious knight interrupted a ceremony.

The knight approached Arthur, who had stepped forward. Then the knight removed their gauntlet and dropped it at his feet. Arthur was quick to pick it up, having learned his lesson about letting his knights fight his own battles.

"I accept your challenge," he said.

"Not again," Lia whispered so that Merlin was the only one to hear. He shared a nervous look with her.

"If I'm to face you in combat, do me the courtesy of revealing your identity," Arthur said to the knight.

Everyone kept their eyes glued to the knight as they removed their helmet, revealing long blonde hair — revealing a woman.

"My name is Morgause."

| | |

Everyone had been thrown for a loop at Morgause's arrival. Never had a woman ever issued a challenge such as this, but at the same time, it wasn't illegal. The challenge was legitimate, and Arthur would have to face her. Morgause had been offered a room to stay in, but she stayed up well into the night, practicing her maneuvers in the courtyard.

"I've brought your sleeping draught," Lia said, entering Morgana's chambers. She was staring out her window down at Morgause while Gwen was turning back the sheets on the bed. Lia joined Morgana's side and peered out the window. "She seems to handle that sword very well."

"Who is she?" Gwen asked, moving around the room. "Why would she challenge Arthur? It seems no one's ever heard of her."

"I feel as if I've met her somewhere before," Morgana murmured.