ii | the darkest hour pt. ii

| i pulled an uno reverse card. usually i prefer the part 2 chapters over the part 1 chapters, but not for these episodes |

"yes, merlin. i do still love her."

[4.2 — The Darkest Hour pt.2]

The fact that Merlin wasn't dead was a miracle that baffled Arthur and the others

The fact that Merlin wasn't dead was a miracle that baffled Arthur and the others. Every other person that had been attacked by the Dorocha was frozen to death, but not him. Though, alive wasn't how they'd describe him either.

The servant was lying limply against the fire pit wrapped in a blanket as Lancelot tended to him. The others looked on in concern, worried that Merlin would not pull through. Guilt was eating Arthur alive knowing that Merlin had sacrificed himself.

"We have to get him back to Gaius," Arthur declared.

Leon did not want to see Merlin die but he also knew their journey was far more important. "And abandon the quest?"

"He saved my life. I won't let him die."

"Sire, if we don't get to the Isle of the Blessed, hundreds more will perish," he reminded him.

Arthur looked helplessly down at Merlin as Lancelot joined his side. "Let me take him."

"Carrying a wounded man alone, it will take you two or three days to reach Camelot," Arthur said, worrying that Merlin did not have that long.

"Not if I go through the Valley of the Fallen Kings," he said. "You cannot give up on the quest."

"Sire, he's right," Leon agreed.

Arthur looked back at Merlin's body once more before nodding, listening to their voices of reason. Percival was the one to pick Merlin up and carry him to his horse. After laying his paralyzed body across it, Arthur tied him down and spoke quietly.

"This is my fault, and I'm sorry."

With great effort, Merlin managed to speak. "Take me with you, please."

"You would die, Merlin," Arthur said, not even entertaining the idea.

"But you don't understand," he uttered, knowing that he had to help. "Please, Arthur."

"Do you ever do as you're told?" he asked, rolling his eyes.

"I have to come with you."

Arthur looked at him sharply. "Merlin—"

"We need to leave," Lancelot interrupted, now finished with packing their supplies.

He squeezed Merlin's arm comfortingly before sending them off. With a worried expression on his face, Arthur watched them leave. But he could not stand around and worry for long as they still had a quest to finish. As Lancelot and Merlin rode towards Camelot, Arthur and the knight rode for the Isle of the Blessed as fast as they could.