i | the curse of cornelius sigan

"gana, taking care of you is not unbearable."

[2.1 — The Curse of Cornelius Sigan]

1 — The Curse of Cornelius Sigan]

"Yup. That's a dead body if I ever saw one."

"The sarcasm is not appreciated, Lia," Merlin muttered.

"And I don't appreciate being woken up at two in the morning," she grumbled. Merlin had run into the physician chambers shouting about a dead body down in the tombs under the kingdom, which workers had been digging in for weeks now. Lia had to tiredly throw on a dressing gown and followed him and Gaius down to the caverns. She stood next to Gaius, pouting and rubbing her arms. "It's cold."

Merlin rolled his eyes. "How do you think he died?" Both of them looked to Gaius, expecting an answer that didn't come. He was too busy staring at the stone coffin with some kind of large, glowing, blue jewel in the middle. "Gaius?" Merlin called.

"Hmm?"

"Do you know whose tomb it is?" Lia asked him since he had taken so much interest in it.

"I'm not sure," he muttered.

"Do you think it might be cursed?" Merlin asked.

Instead of answering, Gaius moved to inspect the grave closer. However, as he moved, he stepped on some sort of hidden trap. A statue of a raven suddenly shot an arrow at Gaius. Merlin quickly used his magic to move a metal plate in front of Gaius, blocking the arrow just in time. The physician looked at him with wide, surprised eyes.

"You just saved my life. Thank you," he said, staring at the raven statue that the arrow had come from.

They heard Uther shouting at the guard in the distance, quickly approaching. Merlin immediately let the plate drop, and it rolled across the floor, stopping right at Uther's feet. He stared at Merlin, unimpressed by his presence.

"Idiot," the King muttered, moving past him.

"Were you born clumsy or do you work at it?" Arthur asked quietly as he entered the tomb.

"It's just one of his many gifts," Lia said, smiling. A hardly noticeable smile appeared on Arthur's face, but he knew he needed to focus on the task at hand.

Uther looked around the cavern, overwhelmed by the countless number of treasures that had been discovered. The gold and jewels had been hiding away for hundreds of years undiscovered.

"Well, this is quite a find. You see, Gaius, I was right. There is treasure to be found under Camelot," Uther said, walking around to examine everything in the room. "Which of my predecessors do I have to thank for all this? Gaius?"

"Uh, I'd have to look into it, Sire," Gaius said, still a bit distracted by something on his mind.

"Have care where you step, My Lord," Lia told him. Uther looked at her expectantly and ceased his movements. She gestured to the corpse on the floor. "He seems to have unwittingly triggered a trap here. There could be more."