Chapter 26

(Calum's P.O.V.)

I had so much confidence in myself moments ago when I told Ashton that I was going to talk to Peyton. However, in the few minutes between me telling him that and me walking to her closed bedroom door, I had lost about 75% of that confidence and I was left second guessing myself.

I stood in front of her door, allowing my closed fist to hover over the door and almost knock, but not make contact.

I don't understand how it was physically possible for one girl to make me so nervous. If this would've been me before the American leg of the tour started, I wouldn't even hesitate. Hell, I wouldn't have even knocked, even though it has gotten me in extreme trouble a plethora of times.

"Just do it Cal." I told myself quietly. "She's your best friend. Go talk to her."

I sighed out loud and softly knocked on the door, being loud enough for someone to hear but soft enough to not wake anyone up. I didn't want to risk waking Peyton up, again.

"How's it going Cal?" I heard Ashton call from the kitchen as he peaked his head around the wall so that he could see me standing outside her door.

"I think she's asleep." I announced.

"Oh, looks like you'll just have to wait til she's out here to talk to her." Ashton said sarcastically, letting me know that if I waited for that, he wouldn't hesitate to listen in on the whole thing. I guarantee you that everyone else in the house would find a way to listen in too.

"I'm just gonna sit in her room until she wakes up." I told him, slowly opening up the door and sliding inside her room.

I closed the door behind me before I could hear Ashton's response. I was done with his sass, but then again, you couldn't blame him. I was emotionally damaging his little sister, but she was doing the same exact thing to me.

"Pey?" I whispered.

"Peyton?" I spoke a little louder this time.

"Peyton, are you up?" I asked, even though I'm sure that if she was awake, she would've replied to me the other two times I said something.

I know this might be weird to say, considering the terms that Pey and I were currently on, but she was an adorable sleeper.

The way that she curled up in the blankets and hugged them into her chest made me jealous. What if I was that blanket and then I could be that close to her again?

I hadn't seen her this peaceful in a while though and it was calming for me personally.

"Ugh." I moaned louder than I expected.

Peyton's body moved, shifting a bit so that she had rolled over and was now facing me. Her eyes fluttered open briefly and I waited for her to say something to me. Instead, she stayed silent and I was angry. I wanted her to say something. I wanted her to cry. I wanted her to yell at me. I wanted her to tell me that she hated me, but I got nothing.

She closed her eyes completely and rolled back around so that her back was facing me, again.

I rolled my eyes into the back of my head and turned around to start walking to the door, realizing that the last thing she wanted to do was talk to me after I had woken her up at 3am and gotten in a fight with her.

As I got closer to the door, I heard a patting sound. Something was hitting the sheets.

Was she getting out of bed to talk to me?

I immediately twirled around to see her tapping the empty space on the bed behind her.

"What?" I asked.