Chapter 25: Secrets

Chapter 25: Secrets

“Alright, I’ve already written a letter to Hogwarts explaining your situation. Professor Snape will be making you a wolfsbane potion every month,” Healer Jones explained to Lyza before she left St. Mungo’s. We would be returning to Hogwarts in a few days, and I was grateful for that. I was ready to leave this hospital. It was a good thing Lyza and I had each other while we were here, or else I think I would have gone crazy. “The wolfsbane potion will help you stay sane, after your transformations. It also keeps you from growing extra hair in other places.” Lyza nodded, but with a grim look on her face. Healer Jones noticed this, as he put his hand on her shoulder. “Lyza, you’re lucky to be alive. You need to understand that. As I’ve already told you, your cravings for food will be stronger than you’ve ever experienced. You will notice you want meat a bit more.”

“What will I look like when I transform?” Lyza asked, quietly. Healer Jones sighed. “I know. Big question. You’re not sure how to answer without feeling like you’re offending me.” Lyza looked over at me and gave me a small smile. In that small smile, I saw all her pain. She was afraid she would hurt somebody, she was afraid she would lose all of her friends because of this. I wanted to tell her it was going to be okay, she didn’t have to worry about anything. I would always be here for her, as would Liz. I wanted her to tell Alex, because I know she would support Lyza every step of the way. But it wasn’t my decision. I realized we will have to be patient with Lyza for a while, while she figures out how to adjust, and accept.

“You’ll look like you,” Healer Jones said. Lyza stared up at him, half offended, half confused. “If I do offend you, I’m sorry. But, this is who you are now Lyza, accept it. Embrace it.” Healer Jones patted her shoulder and made his way past my bed to the door. “Now go see your family and have a nice time at Hogwarts.” Lyza smirked and grabbed her bag from underneath her bed. She jumped off her bed and came over to mine, where I sat cross-legged.

“Thanks for staying here while he talked to me,” Lyza said as she gave me a hug. “See you on the train in a few days.” We parted and I gave you a smile.

“Yup, see you.” Lyza made her way to the door and gave me one last smile before closing it.

I sighed and looked at the empty room around me. I’ve been here two weeks, and Alex hasn’t even bothered to come visit me. I asked my parents if they sent her a letter, and they had. I wondered if everything was okay back in Ireland.

Healer Jones walked back into my room and gave me a pitiful smile. “How’re you doing?” he asked as he sat down next to me. I sighed and slouched my shoulders.

“Excited to get out of here,” I replied. “Even if I don’t know what’s wrong with me.” I eyed him, and he quickly looked away from me.

“I’m terribly sorry, Melody. But your parents have decided to not tell you, until they see you get better.” I quickly sat up and stared harshly at Healer Jones. Until they see me get better? What the hell is wrong with me?!

“Healer Jones, sorry for me raising my voice,” I said, as I stood up from my bed and faced him. “But it’s my body! I deserve to know what’s wrong with me!” Healer Jones looked up and me and sighed.

“I’m sorry, I agree, one-hundred percent. But, unfortunately, your parents get a say in what happens to you until you are eighteen.” Healer Jones stood up and placed his hand on my shoulder. “I’ll bring them in, see if you can convince them one more time.”

“Oh even if I can’t convince them now, I won’t stop until I know.” Healer Jones walked up to the door and opened it. He looked out and waved my parents in. Their faces were pale, and they looked scared. What for? I was the one with the medical problems. “Mom, Dad,” I said, firmly. “Tell me what’ wrong with me. You’re mental for not telling me.”