Chapter 13: Marcus the Sneak

                “You girls may stay in here; Melody might need you so she can stay calm.” McGonagall said as Alex, Liz and Lyza were attempting to sneak out. They all looked at one another and came back to my side. “First of all, why did you run into the forest? Ms. Peterson you are not a stupid student but that was a stupid choice.” I put my head down ashamed of myself. Embarrassment flew throughout me. I could feel my face burn up.

                “My friends and I were in a fight. I was trying to get away from them and I wasn’t thinking.” I said quietly. McGonagall huffed and looked to Dumbledore. It became so quiet in the infirmary that I could hear Alex’s heavy breathing next to me.

                “I have to give you some form of punishment.” McGonagall said disappointingly. “After all it is forbidden for a reason.” I nodded. She sighed. “Considering you are a studious student and have a clean record, 50 points from Gryffindor will be removed.”

                “Oi!” Alex yelled. Lyza elbowed her in the side. “Alright, I’ll keep quiet.”

                “I don’t mind having detentions, Professor. Believe me I deserve them.” What I was saying was true. I was so stupid as to go into the forest. I could have gotten killed.

                “No, no. 50 points are enough. Now Melody…” McGonagall softened her voice. “Do you mind telling us, who the man in the cloak was?” I froze. How did she know about the man? The only person who saw him was Oliver.

                “Oliver told us what he saw when you fell asleep last night.” Dumbledore said softly sensing my confusion. I took in a gulp.

                “I didn’t see his whole face.” I started to shake. I never wanted to see this man ever again. He didn’t hesitate to kill me. Alex held onto my hand. I looked up at her and gave her a smile. She gave me one back. “I saw the bottom half. He was very pale and had unicorn blood dripping down his mouth.” McGonagall sighed and looked to Dumbledore again. “I know it’s not very helpful, but it’s all I really remember.” Dumbledore looked at me astonished.

                “Do you not remember the unicorn?” He asked.

                “Well… I don’t think the unicorn situation was very helpful to you.”

                “Melody! Do you not know what you did? If you had not found the creature, yet another precious unicorn would be lost. So yes, it was very helpful. If you had not stitched up his cut, he would have died.” I took a second to think about it. I saved a unicorn…. A unicorn! I smiled at Dumbledore. He smiled back noticing my excitement.

                “Is he okay?” I asked suddenly worried. Dumbledore sighed.

                “He is recovering. We should arrange a visit for you once you recover. Come Professor McGonagall; let’s leave the girls in peace.” He put his hand on McGonagall’s back and began to lead her out of the infirmary. “Oh, and Melody, 100 points will be rewarded to you because you saved the unicorn. You were very brave back there.” Dumbledore said before he walked out. McGonagall smiled at me before she walked out too.

                I looked up at Liz, Lyza and Alex with a smile spread across my face. They all showed the same smile. “100 points!!” We all screamed. I jumped out of my bed for the first time that day. We all jumped up and down in a circle laughing.

                “Melody! What are you doing? Get back in that bed!” Madam Pomfrey screamed from her office. I quickly got back into my bed and winced. My head still wasn’t the same. The three of them all gave me a concerned look.