Chapter 23: Christmas Morning Disaster

                I heard the high-pitched squeals coming from downstairs. “Father Christmas came! He came!” Emma screamed. I groaned and turned over in my bed. Wait… I was in my bed? I quickly sat up and looked for Marcus. Resting on my bedside table was a small piece of parchment. I picked it up and was greeted by two words I never thought Marcus Flint would say, much rather write down.

                Thank you.

          I sighed and placed the letter back on my bedside table. I stood up and looked out the window, the sun was up, and it was snowing perfect fluffy flakes.

                “Melody! Come on!” Emma screeched. She barged into my bedroom. “Mummy says we can’t open any presents until you come down!”

                “I’ll be down in a minute,” I told her. She grunted and stomped back down the stairs.

                “Melody Roslin!” My mum yelled. “We’re all waiting on you!” I grabbed my robe and put it over myself before walking down the stairs.

                I smiled at the sight I saw. The Christmas tree all lit up, presents scattered around it, and my family surrounding it. I spotted Amelia sitting on the sofa. I gave her a big smile, and she gave me one back.

                “I thought you weren’t coming back until later tonight!” I exclaimed as I went to go sit down next to her. Amelia was never much of a hugger.

                “I decided to leave earlier,” she told me. “I wanted to be with my family Christmas morning.” Her nose wrinkled and she gives me a glare. “Go brush your teeth, your breath stinks.” I opened my mouth and slapped her in the arm playfully. That’s Amelia for you.

                “Alright girls, go ahead and open your presents,” my dad said as he yawned. He looked over at the door and gasped. “What the hell?!” He ran over and picked up the board that was usually on the door to keep out the werewolves. I froze and realized that Marcus had no other way of getting out of the house. “Guys, check the house, there might be one of them in here.”

“Honey!” My mother scolded. “It might have fallen down in the middle of the night. If one got in here, I’m sure we’d know.” My father stood in front of the door, motionless. “Get your arse over here!” He quickly dropped the board and stomped over to my mother. I laughed, relieved, and bent down to take a present when a got a sharp pain in my head. Sharper than the other pains I usually got in my head.

                “Melody, are you alright?” My mother asked. I nodded and held my head. I sat up again and closed my eyes. A giant flash of pain went through my head and I yelped.

                “Melody!” My father yelled. His yelling didn’t make it any better, in fact, it made it worse. I sat back and kept my eyes closed with my hands over my head.

                “Are these the usual pains you get?!” My mother yelled, panicked. I shake my head no. I couldn’t even talk because it hurt so much.

                “Would you guys stop yelling?” Amelia whispered-yelled. “Obviously you two freaking out isn’t helping her case.”

                “Hey, don’t you dare talk to me like-” my father started.

                “Ah!” I screamed out loud. I went into fetal position and I heard running around. All the sounds of footsteps made this pain get worse and worse.