Chapter 10: Melody Breaks

                I stood in the Black Lake everything from my thighs down soaking. I closed my eyes and breathed in the musty lake scent. I let the wind blow my hair gently back. I opened my eyes and stared out. I wondered what was in the Black lake. They said nothing was in there, but I didn’t believe it. We were at Hogwarts for Christ sake. My mum would tell me when I was little that there were mermaids deep down in the lake who sang beautifully. But they couldn’t sing above ground. It just sounded like a terrible screech that pierced your ears.

 I miss my mum. I have written to her and she has written to me, but she’s always busy with business trips for the ministry. My dad will write also, but he’s not much of a writer. He has a healers writing. Well, he is a healer, but in other words, his handwriting is just plain sloppy. I can’t decipher what the heck he is writing half the time. So whenever I do reply one of his letters it’s always the same generic thing. And I always put at the end of the letter: Dad, fix your handwriting so I can actually answer the questions you are trying to ask. I miss my dad too. I miss how when I hug him I have to tilt my head all the way up to see his face because of how tall he is. I miss his warmth. When I was little on cold winter days I would always snuggle with my dad because he was like a heating pad.

I soon realized I was crying. Well I already crying because of Oliver, but my sobs have hardened. I miss those times overall. When everything was easy. When everything was happy. When I thought boys were icky. I sniffled and turned around the cold water splashing beneath me. I can’t believe Oliver would believe Clara over me... I can’t believe I still have feelings for him. I want them to go away, I wish they would. I don’t want to like him but I can’t help it. His brown eyes, his strong arms, his curdled Scottish accent, his love for quidditch, his kindness towards others, his laugh, smile, everything; were home to me.

I reached the edge of the lake. I took in a deep breath and screamed. I screamed as hard as I could for as long as I could. In that scream was all the tough times. The times when I wanted to run away, when I would see Oliver with Clara, the fights I’ve had with him, the times when I’ve wanted to kill Alex for her stubbornness and difficultness, and the times when the twins have fought over something idiotic. But mostly I screamed for being who I was. Why did I have to be so shy? It has ruined so many good opportunities. Why did I have to be kind? People took advantage of me never saying no. Mostly, why did I fall so hard for somebody I can’t have? I wanted to get out of this body. I don’t want this look of innocence I have, I want to get rid of it. I let go of the scream out of breath and fell to the ground. I closed my eyes and slowly breathed in and out. Good thing I made this barrier around me sound proof or that would have been embarrassing. I stood up wiped my tears with my sleeve and brought out my wand. I dissembled the barrier and walked back up to the school.

                                                *********************

I walked up to the Owlery freezing. It was the beginning of November and half of my body was still soaked from standing in the lake. I skipped up the narrow spiral staircase and into the stoned room. The floor was covered in hay and owl droppings. I scanned the room for Anastasia, my barn owl. I heard a high pitched hoot and saw her beautiful dark amber shaped eyes staring at me. She was honestly the most beautiful owl I had ever seen. Her pure white heart shaped face was lined with dark amber. Her wings at the top were dark amber and then faded to a lighter shade as they went down. Her belly was pure white too while her back was a light amber. She had little dark brown spots here and there. “Hey girl,” I said gently stroking the top of her head. She closed her eyes and let me continue to pet her. She opened her eyes and pecked my free hand sensing something was wrong. She hooted quietly at me.