Chapter 15: Test Monkeys

We all looked at each other with the same look on our faces. “We’re doomed!” Alex whisper-yelled. Liz threw her arms up and walked in a circle.

“Thank you, captain obvious!” she whisper-yelled back. I looked up at Oliver nervously. His eyebrows were turned in and he was looking at the stairs farther down in the hallway. “Alright,” He whispered to himself. He rubbed my back with his hand and then stood in the center of us. “I’ll go distract Filch and you guys get out of here.” I looked and saw Filch squinting his eyes at us. I grabbed Oliver arm.

“What?! No! I’ll distract him. You can’t get a detention because of quidditch. They need you on the team.” I said him. He looked into my eyes and sighed. Good. I knew he didn’t want to miss quidditch. “Okay, see you guys on the other side.” I said as I turned. I felt an arm grab me and turn me around. It was Alex, and she had a black rock in her hand. I looked at her confused.               

“I have an idea.” She said. I looked behind me. Filch was about halfway to us. “Everybody grab a partner.” Oliver grabbed my hand. Liz grabbed Lyza’s. “Good to know I’m loved.” Alex said rolling her eyes. “Okay, on the count of three, run. You won’t be able to see, so get a good look at the stairs now, so you know which direction to go. One… two… three…” she slammed her hand down and the black rock hit the ground. She was right about not seeing. The whole third floor was filled with black smoke. “Oi! What the bloody hell?” we heard Filch say. “Who did that? Who are you?” Oliver squeezed my hand and we started to run.

Soon, the black smoke had filled my lungs. My head felt like it was about to explode. I already heard somebody else hyperventilating behind me. Most likely Alex. I started to slow down. Oliver never let go. “C’mon Mel! We’re almost there!” said his hoarse voice. I suddenly fell to the ground, letting go of Oliver’s hand. I was on my knees trying to breath. I felt somebody’s arms wrap themselves around my body. They picked me up, and then switched my position in their arms to bridal style. “I’ve got you Mel,” Oliver said. I rested my head on his shoulder as he continued to run. I felt Oliver run down the bumpy stairs. We finally made it to the bottom of the stairs where he put me gently on the ground and we all took in a big breath of fresh air. Luckily, everybody made it out.

                “Ahhh!!” I heard Liz scream. I opened my eyes and looked at Liz. Her face was all red and blotchy with red bumps. Definitely not a case of acne. Lyza covered her mouth and pointed her finger at Liz. Liz was pointing her finger at Lyza. They both had the same red bumps all over their faces. “What the fuck?!” I heard Alex scream. She was looking in a mirror, she had the same bumps. I looked up nervously at Oliver; he had his mouth wide open and was gaping at me. He had the same redness too. I started to shake and looked in the same mirror as Alex. I almost fainted. I had the same red face and bumps, but mine was definitely the worst out of all of them.

                We all turned our heads when we heard two pairs of footsteps come into the little hallway that we were in. It was Fred and George. They both stared at us with deer eyes and mouths wide open. “Fred Fabian Weasley!” Alex screamed as she ran up to Fred. Fred dropped the books he was holding and hid behind George. George put his hands on Alex’s shoulders keeping her from his brother. “You said that the rock was sure to work!” Oliver stepped in.

                “Wait, wait, wait. Fred and George gave you that rock that made the black smoke?” Oliver said. One of the bumps on his head popped and puss squirted out. I heard Fred and George snicker to each other.

                “These two said they were working on their first product or whatever it is. It was a rock to make a good get away, because of the smoke. But they didn’t tell me it would make us all break out in giant bumps!” Alex yelled. George cowered away from Alex leaving Fred. Fred grabbed her hand and I saw her angry expression go away.