Chapter 30: Deceived

I made my way into the Great Hall and instantly found Liz and Lyza at our usual spot. But, no Alex. It wasn't uncommon for Alex to show up to breakfast late, she sometimes overslept. But she always made her way down for breakfast before it was time to get to class.

"There she is," Liz said as she moved over slightly so I could sit down. "Lyza was talking about sending a search party for you." I smiled at Lyza across the table who wrinkled her nose at me. I grabbed a muffin and began nibbling, looking around to see if Oliver was anywhere. As if on cue, I noticed him at the end of the table, and our eyes met. He was sitting by himself, no Clara to be found. He smiled at me and waved, and I instantly concentrated on my muffin.

"Why would Oliver smile at me like that?" I asked as I broke apart my muffin but didn't eat it.

"What do you mean? Do I need to say something?" Lyza asked as she stared him down.

"He smiled and waved almost as if what happened last night was just a funny memory." I sighed and Liz patted me on the shoulder.

"Men. So oblivious to the world- oh shit, here comes George." Lyza put on the fakest smile I've ever seen as Fred and George passed by, and George, looking smitten, waved to Lyza. Lyza gave the slightest wave. When they walked to the opposite side of the Great Hall, Lyza's shoulders dropped and she groaned.

"What the fuck was that about," Liz said as she stared at her sister.

"It was cute and all going to the dance with him. Great charity work on my part- "Liz slapped her sister. "Ow! I'm just kidding! It's just that... the kids two years younger than us! I'm not interested in dating a child. He's been trying to hang out with me more, like following me around and shit. I especially can't have that in- "Lyza looked around and bent her head down closer to us. "I can't have that in my condition. What if he follows me when I'm going to transform? I can't have that."

"So... tell him you don't want to be his little girlfriend," Liz said as she shoved food in her mouth.

"I don't want to hurt him... he hasn't gone through puberty yet." I giggled and rolled my eyes. "Melody! I'm serious! I know two years isn't that much of a difference-except that it is when he's thirteen and I'm fifteen going on sixteen!"

"No no! I get it! The situation is just funny," I said as I smiled at Lyza. She groaned.

"It is not! I need to find a way to let this ginger boy down sweetly."

"Or you could just... not talk to him anymore?" Liz suggested.

"No, Liz! I have to make sure that he doesn't follow me- "

As the twins bickered, I started to look around the Great Hall for Alex. Maybe she was sitting with her brother? I found Seamus, but Alex was no where to be found.

"Guys, where's Alex?" I interrupted. "Was she still sleeping when you headed down here?"

"Surprisingly no," Liz said.

"She was out of bed and dressed when I got up to go find you," Lyza shrugged.

"I really hope she didn't go and talk to Oliver early this morning," I sighed. I looked over at where Oliver was sitting, and he was gone.

Everyone around us started to gather their things and leave for their first class. Liz, Lyza, and I followed their lead and made our way to the doors.