Chapter 17: Dresses, Dresses everywhere

                “What did McGonagall say to you again?” Alex asked as we walked through the cold streets of Hogsmeade. It was the first trip out and we were all headed for Gladrags Wizardwear to get our dresses for the ball. The boys wanted to spend our first trip of Hogsmeade together, considering it was Fred and George’s first time coming. But we told them that we kind of had to find our dresses soon, because the dance is in less than two weeks.

                “She didn’t say anything really,” I told the girls as we all tightened our scarfs because of how cold it was. “We just walked back to the common room in silence and she had a smirk on her face. But when we got to the portrait she said ‘I better not see you two doing that again’ and then walked away.”

                Liz and Lyza smiled. “I wonder if professors secretly pair students together,” Lyza said. We all laughed.

                “I think all the teachers paired you and Oliver together.” Liz said while smiling at me. I blushed and looked at the ground. Alex poked me in the side and I jerked away because of my ticklishness. “So Lyza,” Liz said looking over at her twin. “You never told us; did George ask you to the ball? I mean he gave you a big snog the other night.” It was now Lyza’s turn to blush as she looked at the ground.

                “Maybe he did, maybe he didn’t.” Lyza said as we walked into Gladrags. And that means that George did ask her to the ball.

                When we walked in we all had the same expression. There were barely any dresses. We all looked over to the little old lady at the counter. She lifted her head up from some paperwork she was doing. “Sorry girls,” She said her voice soft. “But most people have already gotten their dresses. It’s the only shipment we got.” She went back to doing her work. Alex, Liz and Lyza looked like they were on the verge of exploding to that lady. I quickly jumped in front of them.

                “Guys, it’s okay! There’s enough dresses to try on, I’m sure we’ll find something.” They all sighed and rolled their eyes. I crossed my arms. “We’ll just have to make-do with what we’ve got. Now stop your pouting and c’mon!” They all sighed again and sluggishly walked over to a dress rack. I started looking also.

                “These actually aren’t that bad,” Lyza said as she held up a long, strapless purple gown. Liz shook her head in agreement as she pulled out a sparkly gray one shoulder gown.

                “I think this one would look great on Lyza.” Liz said handing it to her twin. “Let’s all find five dresses to try on.”

                All the other girls were having luck except for me. I just couldn’t find a dress that I could imagine myself in. I wanted this night to be perfect; I wanted to feel beautiful and confident for once. I tried to imagine myself in this light green gown. I imagined myself walking down the stairs into the common room and seeing Oliver’s face light up when he saw me. “Just try it on.” Alex said. I opened my eyes and sighed.

                “I can’t find the right dress. Or any dress that would look good on me.” I said putting the green dress back. Alex took it out again and handed it to me.

                “Mel, you can put on a paper bag and still look good.” I took it and smiled at the ground. “Here, I’ll help you find some.” Liz and Lyza noticed my dilemma and started helping me find dresses too. As soon as I found five dresses we headed for the dressing room. There was only one, considering it was a small shop, so Liz went first.